All Lewis entries for Killeroran



Killeroran

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

KILLARARAN

KILLARARAN, or KILRONAN, a parish, in the barony of KILLIAN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2- miles (N. E.) from Ballinamore, on the road from that place to Roscommon ; containing 4777 inhabitants, and 8300 statute acres. The river Shiven runs through part of this parish, which contains a large quantity of bog. Petty sessions are held on alternate Tuesdays at Ballygar. The principal seats are Ballinamore House, the residence of the Hon. Martin Ffrench ; Ballinglass of N. Darcy, Esq. ; Castle Kelly, of D. H. Kelly, Esq. ; and Riversdale, of John Kelly, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Killian ; the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Kingsland. The tithes amount to £148. Which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Killian, and has a chapel at Ballygar. About 400 children are educated in a national and 130 in two private schools.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020