All Lewis entries for Dunmore


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway


DUNMORE, a market and post-town, and a parish, partly in the barony of HALF-BALLYMOE, but chiefly in that of DUNMORE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7- miles (N. by E.) from Tuam, and 106 (W.) from Dublin ; containing 10,705 inhabitants, of which number, 847 are in the town. St. Patrick built the monastery of Domnagh Padraig, or "the stone house of Patrick," here, and made St. Fulartach its superintendent ; and a friary for Augustine Eremites was founded on the site of this abbey, in 1425, by Lord Athenry. The parish comprises 35,571 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and contains Quarry-mount, the seat of J. J. Bodkin, Esq. ; and Carantrila, of W. H. Handcock, Esq. The market is on Thursday ; and fairs are held on May 29th, July 10th, Oct. 10th, and Dec. 11th. It has a sub-post-office to Tuam, and is a constabulary police station. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Crown : the tithes amount to £646. 3. 1. The glebe-house was built in 1815, by aid of a gift of £100 and a loan of £900, and has a glebe of five acres. The church is part of the ancient friary. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a small slated chapel. About 400 children are educated in two public, and 260 in eight private schools ; there is also a Sunday school. Here are the ruins of a castle of the Birminghams. The Right Hon. Sir Gore Ouseley, Bart., formerly ambassador in Persia, and Sir William Ouseley, an eminent Oriental scholar, are natives of this place.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021