There is also a native Irish family of Co. Wexford, the MacDavymores, who adopted the surname of Redmond in the early seventeenth century, taking it from their fourteenth century ancestor, Redmond MacDavymore. This family were descended from Murchadh na nGael, brother of Dermot MacMurrough, the king of Leinster whose alliance with the Normans resulted in the Norman invasion. Their adoption of the surname Redmond seems to have been an attempt to retain their lands by associating themselves with the Anglo-Irish family of the name. In any case, they were based in the north of the county, while the Norman Redmonds are most strongly associated with south Wexford, where they first settled.
The arms illustrated are those of the Norman family. The crest, a flaming beacon, represents the oldest lighthouse in Ireland, off the peninsula of the Hook, the area most closely linked with the family; in the Annals they are described as Clanna Reamainn Tighe Solais, "the Redmond family of the lighthouse". The arms themselves commemorate Alexander Redmond's defence of Redmond's Hall against Cromwell's army, in which woolsacks were used to protect the defenders.
The family motto translates "To live piously and to love God and our country".
. The most famous bearer of the name was John Edward Redmond (1855-1918), leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party in the British House of Commons until the party was eclipsed by the rise of Sinn Fein. His immediate family, which claimed descent from the old Norman stock, .was remarkable for the number of politicians it produced; no fewer than seven others became M.P.s in the U.K. parliament or T.D.s in the Irish Dail after independence.