All Lewis entries for Magheraculmoney



Magheraculmoney

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Fermanagh

EDERNEY

EDERNEY, a village, in the parish of MAGHERACULMONY, barony of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (N.) from Kish, on the road from Enniskillen to Derry ; containing 32 houses and 132 inhabitants. It is the property of the Rev. Mr. West, who is about to erect a market-house and some good dwelling-houses. Fairs are held on March 1st, May 16th, July 18th, Oct. 6th, Nov. 28th, and the 17th of every other month.

KESH

KESH, a village and post-town, in the parish of MAGHERACULMONEY barony of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 12 miles (N. by W.) from Enniskillen, and 93 miles (N. W.by N.) from Dublin, on the road from Enniskillen to Donegal; containing 28 houses and 139 inhabitants. It is a constabulary police station, and has fairs on Jan. 28th, March 28th, June 1st, July 28th, Sept. 28th, and Nov. 21st.

MAGHERACULMONY

MAGHERACULMONY, a parish, in the barony of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Ballyshannon to Omagh ; containing, with the post-town of Kesh, 6451 inhabitants. This parish is situated on Lough Erne, and, according to the Ordnance survey, comprises, including islands, 18,577 statute acres, of which 3843- are in Lower Lough Emne, and 9973 are applotted under the tithe act. With the exception of about 1500 acres of mountain or turbary, the land is of good quality and chiefly in pasture ; that portion of it which is under tillage produces good crops, and the system of agriculture is improving. There are some quarries of excellent limestone, which are worked for agricultural purposes, and also of freestone of good quality, which is raised for building ; and coal is found in the parish, but not worked. Fairs are held at Ederney and Kesh, which see; and petty sessions are also held at the latter place on alternate Mondays. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to £255. The glebe-house was built in 1780, at an expense of £808. 4., the glebe comprises 374 acres, valued at £326, and 46 acres in the possession of the incumbent, valued at £69, per annum. The church, a plain neat building, was repaired and enlarged by the addition of a gallery, in 1825, at an expense of £276. 18. 5-., for which a loan was granted from the Consolidated Fund. In the R. C. divisions the parish, with the exception of three townlands, forms part of the union or district of Drumkeeman. About 450 children are taught in the parochial and four other public schools ; and there are three private schools, in which are about 150 children. In the deer-park of Gen. Archdall are the ruins of some monastic buildings ; there are also some remains of Crevenish Castle, near which is a strongly impregnated sulphuric spring, the water of which is similar to that of Harrogate.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021