All entries for Inishmacsaint



Inishmacsaint

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Fermanagh

CHURCH-HILL

CHURCH-HILL, a post-town, in the parish of INNISMACSAINT, barony of MAGHERABOY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 9 miles (N. W.) from Enniskillen, and 89? miles (N. W.) from Dublin : the population is returned with the parish. This place is situated near the mail coach road from Dublin to Ballyshannon, and has a sub-post-office to the latter place and Enniskillen. Fairs are held on the 14th of May, 30th of August, and 30th of November. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists ; and a dispensary.

DERRYGONNELLY

DERRYGONNELLY, a market-town, partly in the parish of DEVENISH, and partly in that of INNISMACSAINT, barony of MAGHERABOY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 7 miles (N. W.) from Enniskillen, on the road to Sligo ; the population is returned with the respective parishes. This town, which is the property of Gen. Archdall, consists of one main street of newly built houses, and a market-house : it has a penny post to Enniskillen. The market is on Saturday; and fairs are held on the 24th of each month for general farming stock. A constabulary police force is stationed here, and petty sessions are held every alternate week : a manorial court also is occasionally held. It contains a R. C. chapel dependent on that of Devenish, which union or district is also called Derrygonnelly, and a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Near the town are the ruins of an old church, originally a chapel of ease to the parochial church, built by the Dunbar family.

GARRISON

GARRISON, a village, partly in the parish of INNISMACSAINT, and partly in that of DEVENISH, barony of MAGHERABOY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 7 miles (W.) from Churchhill, on the road from Ballyshannon to Manorhamilton ; containing 69 inhabitants. Here are a chapel of ease to the parish church of Devenish, a R. C. chapel, and a school. It is a constabulary police station, and fairs are held on May 21st, July 19th, Oct. 21st. and Dec. 21st, besides which fairs have lately been established every alternate month.

INNISMACSAINT

INNISMACSAINT, or CHURCHHILL, a parish, partly in the barony of TYRHUGH, county of DONEGAL, but chiefly in that of MAGHERABOY, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Churchhill, the market-town of Derrygonnelly, and part of the post-town of Ballyshannon, (each of which is separately described), 14,801 inhabitants. The name Innismacsaint is derived from an island in Lough Erne, about half a mile from the shore, where a celebrated abbey was founded by St. Nenn, or Nennid, early in the sixth century. This afterwards became the parish church until, in the reign of Queen Anne, one was built at Drumenagh; part of the ancient building still exists. According to the Ordnance survey the parish comprises 52,994? statute acres, of which 9505 are water, including a considerable portion of Lough Erne and part of Lough Melvin: of these, 45,867?, including several small islands, are in the county of Fermanagh, and 7127 in Donegal. About two .thirds of it are arable and pasture, and the remainder waste and bog: 23,616 acres are applotted under the tithe act. Agriculture is in a backward state, especially in the Fermanagh part of the parish. There is a great quantity of bog, particularly on the Wyault mountains, where there is a basaltic dyke. Coal appears in several places in thin layers, and there are quarries of good sandstone used for building. The mountain of Glennalong rises 793, and Shean North 1133, feet above the level of the sea. Lough Erne affords a navigable communication with Enniskillen, Belturbet, and Ballyshannon. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Ely: the tithes amount to #500. The glebe-house at Benmore, the residence of the Rev. H. Hamilton, was built by a loan of #1000 and a gift of #100 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1829; it is situated on a glebe of 540 acres. The church is a handsome building with a tower, erected in 1831 by a loan of #1385 from the same Board, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #101 for its repair. There are also chapels of ease or district churches at Slavin and Finner. In the R. C. divisions parts of this parish are united to Bohoe and Devenish, and the remainder forms the union or district of Bundoran. There are plain chapels at Roscor, Knockaraven, Bundoran, and Carrickbeg. At Churchhill is a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists, and at Cosbystown one for Primitive Methodists. The parochial school was built by a bequest of #200 from the late Rev. J. Nixon, and is aided by an annual subscription of #5 from the rector; there is a school at the rector's gate-house, where girls are taught needlework by his family; a girls' school is supported by the Marchioness of Ely; and a school has been recently erected at Fasso, by the Marquess of Ely, who is proprietor of the parish. In these and another public school about 330 children are educated, and about 900 are taught in 19 private schools; there are also four Sunday schools. In the vicinity of Carricklake are the ruins of a church; and near Churchhill are the remains of Castle Tully, the inhabitants of which were slaughtered in the war of 1641. Several Danish raths or forts exist here, some of which are very perfect. There is a sulphureous spring at Braad, and a chalybeate spring at Rosslemonough.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2018