All Lewis entries for Aghavea



Aghavea

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Fermanagh

AUGHAVEA

AUGHAVEA, or AGHAVEAGH, a parish, in the barony of MAGHERASTEPHENA, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Lisnaskea to Five-mile-town; containing, with the post-town of Brookborough, 6281 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 17,142 statute acres, of which 10,096 are applotted under the tithe act. About 17- acres are water, and nearly one-fourth of the land is bog or mountain, the former affording good fuel, and the latter pasturage for cattle ; there is no wasteland but what may occur from neglect or from a bad system of cultivation. The greater portion of the land is under tillage, and the system of agriculture is improving. There are some excellent quarries of freestone, which is raised for building and for other uses. The principal seats are Nutfield, the residence of Lady Brook; Abbey Lodge, of J. Macartney, Esq.; Greenhill, of Major Irvine; Whitepark, of A. Bailey, Esq. and Gola, of Major Dundas. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £300 there are 14 townlands in the parish, the tithes of which are annexed to the old abbey of Lisdoune, in the possession of the Leonard family, and are not included in the applotment under the tithe act. The church is a plain edifice, erected by aid of a gift of £200 and a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813 and divine service is also performed every Sunday in the school-house at Brookborough. The glebe-house is a handsome modern building; the glebe comprises 43 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Aughalurcher, and has a chapel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Brookborough, where is the parochial school, supported under the patronage of Sir A. H. Brooke, Bart. There are also five other schools in the parish.-See BROOKBOROUGH.

BROOKBOROUGH

BROOKBOROUGH, a post-town, in the parish of AUGHAVEA, barony of MAGHERASTEPHENA, county of FERMANAGH, and province OF ULSTER, 13 miles (E.) from Enniskillen, and 75? miles (N.W.) from Dublin; containing 83 houses and 480 inhabitants. This town is situated on the road from Lisnaskea to Five-mile-town, and is a chief constabulary police station. Fairs are held on the third Tuesday of every month, for the sale of cattle, sheep, and pigs, and of butter, cloth and yarn; premiums are given every fair day to the largest purchasers by a committee who have the management of the fairs. A manorial court is held occasionally, at which small debts are recoverable; and petty sessions are held every alternate Tuesday, Divine worship, according to the form of the Established Church, is performed in a parochial school-house every Sunday evening; and there is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021