All Lewis entries for St. Peters



St. Peters

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Dublin

HAROLD'S CROSS

HAROLD'S CROSS, a village, partly in the parish of ST. CATHERINE, in the barony of DONORE, and partly in the united parishes of ST. PETER and ST. KEVIN, barony of UPPERCROSS county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 1- mile (S.) from Dublin Castle, on the road to Rathfarnham; containing 1101 inhabitants. This place was in ancient times the scene of repeated conflicts with the Danes; and in a house near it, on the road from Clanbrassil bridge, Robert Emmet, who had lodged there for some time under a fictitious name, fter the insurrection of 1803, was apprehended by Major Sin. The village contains 157 houses, chiefly built round a spacious green and along the roads leading on the west to Kimmage, and on the south to Rathfarnham. In the neighbourhood are some handsome villas, of which the chief are Mount Argus, that of J. Byrne, Esq.; and Greenmount, of J. Webb, Esq. On a branch of a river which rises above Castle Hill are some extensive mills; and in the neighbourhood is a very extensive cotton factory, called the Green Mount Mills, belonging to Messrs. Pim, and employing 150 persons. The machinery of these mills is driven by a steam-engine of 25 and a water-wheel of 20-horse power, giving motion to 100 power-looms and 6000 spindles; there are also a paper-mill and a flour-mill. In the village is a small monastery of discalced Carmelites, consisting of a prior and nine brethren, who support themselves by the exercise of several trades, and the profits of a school kept in the house. A convent of sisters of the order of St. Clare was removed hither from Dorset-street, Dublin, in 1804; the establishment consists of an abbess, 17 professed nuns, and 3 lay sisters; and attached to the convent is a very neat chapel, which is open to the public. Connected with this institution is a female orphan asylum, founded in 1803, and removed from Hendrick-street, Dublin, in 1806, when an appropriate building adjoining the convent was erected for its use. In this asylum 90 children are maintained, clothed, and instructed under the immediate care and superintendence of the sisters of St. Clare; it is supported by subscriptions, donations, and the produce of the industry of the children, who excel in the finer sorts of needlework. Near the entrance of Mount Jerome is a national school, established in 1834, which was previously a R. C. chapel. Mount Jerome, a beautifully picturesque demesne, adjoining the village, has lately been purchased by the Dublin Cemetery Company, formed under the provisions of an act of the 4th and 5th of Wm. IV., "for establishing a general cemetery in the neighbourhood of the city of Dublin." This cemetery comprises 25 acres of gently elevated ground, embellished with lawns and shrubberies, and wholly surrounded with lofty trees of venerable growth, giving it an air of seclusion and a solemnity of aspect peculiarly appropriate. Under the direction of the Company, who have a capital of £12,000 subscribed in £10 shares, provision will be made for the interment of persons of all religious denominations by recognised ministers of their respective congregations; and in order to facilitate the approaches from the south and south-east of the city, arrangements have been made with the Grand Canal Company for the improvement of the canal road from Portobello, and for exemption from toll of all carriages passing to or from the cemetery. The plan also embraces the erection of monuments and cenotaphs, and the construction of tombs and graves either by the company at a stipulated charge, or by individuals at their own expense; the whole is enclosed by a wall, and near the entrance a church is now being erected for the accommodation of the neighbourhood as a chapel of ease. Building stone of good quality is found in abundance in the vicinity, and the Grand Canal passes almost close to the village.

MILLTOWN

MILLTOWN, a village, partly in the parish of TANEY, but chiefly in that part of the united parishes of ST. PETER and ST. KEVIN, which is in the barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (S.) from Dublin, on the road to Dundrum and Enniskerry ; containing 673 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Dodder, and numerous dilapidated buildings testify that it was formerly an important place. A starch and glue mill is in operation, and the woollen mills, which were established 35 years since, for the manufacture of low-priced cloths, employ about 60 persons, under Mr. Morris Harnett. The Dodder, after heavy rains, being swelled by mountain torrents, overflows its banks and sometimes does considerable damage. The neighbourhood is adorned with many respectable residences, from several of which splendid views of the bay and city of Dublin are obtained, as well as of the Wicklow mountains : among them are Milltown Park, the residence of G. Russell, Esq. ; Fairyland, of W. C. Hogan, Esq. ; Nullamore, of W. H. Flemyng, Esq. ; Rich View, of the Rev. S. W. Fox ; Richmond House, of J. Somers, Esq. ; South Hill, of J. Elliott, Esq. ; Richmond Park, of W. McCann, Esq. ; Brookfield, of J. Smith, Esq. ; and the residence of the Misses Hunt, partly the repaired edifice of Milltown Castle. Here is a R. C. chapel, also a dissenting place of worship for Independents ; and in that part of the village which is in Taney parish there is a school. Milltown gives the title of Earl to the family of Leeson.

RANELAGH

RANELAGH, a village, in the parish of ST. PETER, barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 1? mile (S. by E.) from the General Post-office, Dublin, on the road to Enniskerry ; containing 1988 inhabitants. Here is a nunnery of the Carmelite order, with a neat chapel attached : a school for poor girls is gratuitously conducted by the nuns, In the vicinity are several avenues in which are a number of neat villas ; also the extensive nursery grounds of Messrs. Toole and Co. Adjoining the village is Cullenswood, noted for a dreadful massacre by the native Irish of upwards of 500 citizens (a colony from Bristol), who on Easter-Monday, 1209, went out to divert themselves near the wood, where they were surprised and slaughtered. The day was afterwards called "Black Monday," and the place is still known by the name of the " Bloody Fields."

RATHMINES

RATHMINES, a considerable village and suburb of Dublin, in that part of the united parishes of ST. PETER and ST. KEVIN which is in the barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, on the old road to Milltown, 2 miles (S.) from the General Post-Office : containing 1600 inhabitants. This place is chiefly noted as the scene of the celebrated battle of Rathmines, which occurred Aug. 2nd, 1649 : the Marquess of Ormonde, with the royalist army, consisting of about 7000 foot and 4000 horse, had fixed his headquarters at Old Rathmines Castle (now occupied by Mr. Jackson), on taking measures to invest the city of Dublin ; but an action with the garrison being brought on by an attack upon the neighbouring castle of Baggotrath, the republican soldiers gained an advantage, which they pursued with vigour, and succeeded in putting to flight the whole of the forces under the Marquess of Ormonde, with the loss on the part of the latter of 600 slain and 1800 prisoners, among whom were 300 officers : the Marquess retired to Kilkenny. From the circumstance of cannon and musket-balls, and coins of the reign of Jas, I. being frequently ploughed up, it is conjectured that the conflict raged a considerable distance along the banks of the river Dodder. At the corner of the Rathgar road is a station of the city police : there is a small woollen factory belonging to Messrs. Wilans. Twelve years since Rathmines was only known as an obscure village ; it now forms a fine suburb, commencing at Portobello bridge, and extending in a continued line of handsome houses, with some pretty detached villas, for about one mile and a half. Among the most conspicuous are Rathmines Castle, the residence of J. T. Purser, Esq., a castellated mansion in tastefully disposed grounds ; Wood Park, of T. P. Hayes, Esq. ; Fort-Royal Hall, of J. Rutherford, Esq., whence is obtained a splendid view of the bay of Dublin, and the Dublin and Wicklow mountains ; Campobello, of M. Roache, Esq. ; Fortfield, of P. Boylan, Esq. ; Gortnasheelah, of the Rev. J. B. McCrea ; Rathgar House, of the Hon. Capt. Coote Hely Hutchinson ; Bellwood House, of O. Willan, Esq. ; Greenville, of J. Chadwick, Esq. ; Rookerick, of Mrs. Codd ; Chapel View, of G. Taylor, Esq. ; Somerville, of Roderick Connor, Esq. ; and Ashgrove, of G. Watson, Esq. A handsome church was erected in 1828, at a cost of £2600, defrayed by the late Board of First Fruits ; it is in the pointed style of architecture, with a square tower surmounted with a lofty spire : the design is an imitation of the ancient roofed crypts, the roof being a solid arch, and the walls and ceiling in the interior forming a continued vault : it is a chapel of ease to the united parishes of St. Peter and St. Kevin. In the vestry is a parochial library, presented by the Rev. S. W. Fox. On the Rathmines road is a neat R. C. chapel, which is the parochial chapel for the union or district of St. Mary and St. Peter, comprising parts of the Protestant parishes of St. Peter, St. Kevin, St. Catherine, and St. Mary Donnybrook : in addition, there are R. C. chapels at Milltown, and at the nunneries at Harold's Cross and Ranelagh. Here is a female day school, partly supported by subscription ; and a spacious school-house was erected in 1835, by subscription, near the Rathmines chapel, in connection with the new Board of Education,

SANDFORD

SANDFORD, a village, in the parish of ST. PETER, barony of UPPERCROSS, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 1- mile (S.) from the General Post-Office, on the road to Enniskerry: the population is returned with the parish. The name of this place is derived from the circumstance of Lord Mount-Sandford having, in 1826, erected and endowed an episcopal chapel, under the provisions of an act of the 11th and 12th of Geo. III. Though not possessed of any property in the neighbourhood, sympathising with a large population destitute of any place of worship for Protestants, his lordship liberally expended about £5000 in building a church, parsonage, and school-houses, besides securing an endowment of £50 per annum to the chaplain. These buildings occupy a very interesting site : the church is fitted up in a chaste and simple style, and is capable of accommodating 900 people ; 300 sittings are free ; the rent of the remainder, in addition to the endowment, forms the maintenance of the clergyman. The salaries of clerk, organist, school-master, &c., are paid by collections among the congregation ; so that this chapelry has never been any charge on the parish. The founder vested the right of appointment to the chaplaincy in four clergymen and one layman, as trustees, with power to fill up vacancies in their number. Each school contains about 60 children of each sex, one-half of whom are Roman Catholics: there is a lending library attached to the establishment.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021