CABINTEELY, a village, partly in the parish of KILLINEY, hut chiefly in that of TULLY, half-barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 6? miles (S. S. E.) from Dublin: the population is returned with the respective parishes. This place, which is situated on the road from Dublin to Bray, is a constabulary police station, and has a twopenny post to Dublin : it comprises a number of small irregularly built houses, and a R. C. chapel for the union or district of Kingstown. In the vicinity are several handsome seats, the principal of which is Cabinteely House, the residence of the Misses Byrne, descended from the O'Byrne dynasty of Wicklow: the house forms three sides of a square, commanding extensive views of the bays of Dublin and Killiney, with the beautiful adjacent country; and the demesne is adorned with thriving plantations and presents many natural beauties. Among the other seats are Brenanstown House, the admired residence of G. Pim, Esq.; and Glen-Druid, of Mrs. Barrington. Near Loughlinstown, on the right of the road leading to Bray, is the site of an extensive encampment, held there in 1797 and for several years after the disturbances in 1798. At Glen-Druid there is a very perfect cromlech, consisting of six upright stones supporting one of 14 feet by 12, which is supposed to weigh about 25 tons.
KILLINEY, a parish, in the half-barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2- miles (S. by E.) from Kingstown, on the road from Dublin to Bray ; containing 495 inhabitants, This parish comprises 1269 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3118 per annum. The hills of Killiney command magnificent views of Howth, Kingstown, and Dublin bay ; the groves of Merrion and Mount Anville, with part of Dublin, the Phoenix Park, and the river Liffey, Killiney bay, Bray Head, and the two Sugar-Loaf mountains. They are visited by many parties of pleasure in summer, at which season Killiney and its vicinity are favourite places of residence, and several pretty villas and rustic cottages have been erected for such as may take up their abode here. There are three hills, called "the Three Sisters," in one of which was procured the stone for eonstrueting Kingstown harbour: the second is of considerable elevation ; the village of Killiney, which is in the parish of Kill, occupies the south side of the third hill. The principal seats are Loftus Hill, formerly belonging to Mr. Henry, which is beautifully situated to the north of the Killiney hills ; Laughlinstown House, the residence of the Hon. Judge Day ; Ballinclea, of the Hon. Mrs. Mellefont ; Killiney Park, of Sir N. W. Brady, Knt. ; Saintbury, of Capt. Stritch ; Kilmarnock, of Lieut. Baker, R. N. ; Ballybrack Grove, of Japhet Alley, Esq. ; Killiney House, of Capt. Gaynor ; Marino, of Mrs. King ; Martello Farm, of T. Oxley, Esq. ; and Druid Cottage, of Mrs. Patten. It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union of Monkstown ; the rectory forms part of the corps of the deanery of Christ Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £117. 0. 11-., of which £78.0. 7-. is payable to the dean, and £39.0. 4-. to the incumbent of Monkstown. By a public act passed in the 9th of Geo. IV. it was enacted that a church, or chapel of ease to Monkstown, should be erected at Killiney, and endowed with houses and land in the village of Dalkey, which were taken from the deanery. For some years divine service was performed by the Rev. Chas. Sleater, the first chaplain (who was appointed by the incumbent of Monkstown) in a private house, but in 1834 a chapel of ease was erected on a site given by Sir Compton Domville, Bart., who also gave a portion of glebe. It is in the later English style, and is built of the white granite that is found in great abundance on the spot ; at the west end is an embattled tower with pinnacles. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Kingstown. In the village is a public school, in which about 60 children are educated, and a school-house was erected in 1834, in connection with the church. A dispensary in the village is maintained in the customary manner. Near Killiney bay are two Martello towers and two batteries. The picturesque ruins of the old church, covered with ivy, are on the shore. In Killiney Park and the grounds of Druid Cottage are some interesting druidical remains. Stone coffins and urns of baked clay were found in the grounds of Killiney House, about the year 1784 ; and ancient coins, ornaments and military weapons have been frequently found here. Near Dorset Lodge is a pyramidical monument of granite, erected to mark the spot where the fourth Duke of Dorset lost his life accidentally, while hunting, in 1815.