All Lewis entries for Donnybrook



Donnybrook

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Dublin

BALL'S-BRIDGE

BALL'S-BRIDGE, a village, in that part of the parish of ST. MARY, DONNYBROOK, which is within the county of the city of DUBLIN, in the province of LEINSTER, 1? mile (S. E.) from the Post-office, Dublin: the population is returned with the parish. This place derives its name from a bridge of three arches erected here over the Dodder, in 1791, and rebuilt in 1835. It is pleasantly situated on the high road from Dublin to Kingstown and Bray, and on the left or west bank of the river, which issues from the mountains near Rockbrook, and falls into the Liffey near Ringsend. In the immediate vicinity, and on the right of the road from Dublin, stood Baggot-rath Castle, which was seized during the night by the forces of the Marquess of Ormonde, on his meditated investiture of the city, in 1649; but soon after daybreak on the following morning, the assailants were driven out by the garrison of Dublin and pursued and completely defeated. In 1651 the castle was taken by storm by Oliver Cromwell. All remains of it have long since disappeared; and within the last few years several handsome houses have been erected on its site. Adjoining the village, on the south, and along the banks of the Dodder, are works for printing linen, calico, and cotton, established about the year 1740, and since greatly extended and improved by Messrs. Duff and Co., who for more than 40 years have been the sole proprietors. They are at present capable of finishing 100,000 pieces annually, are worked by the water of the Dodder and by steam-engines of 40-horse power, and afford constant employment to more than 400 persons. Near the village are the Hammersmith iron-works, established in 1834 by Mr. R. Turner: the front of this extensive establishment is 200 feet long, presenting a handsome facade towards the road; and at the back are numerous dwelling, houses for the workmen, which are called the Hammersmith cottages. The road on which these works are situated has been greatly improved; wide footpaths have been formed, and the whole is lighted with gas. Nearly adjoining the works are the botanical gardens belonging to Trinity College.

The village is within the jurisdiction of the Dublin Court of Conscience for the recovery of small debts, and for all criminal matters within that of the metropolitan police. In the post-office arrangements it is within the limits of the twopenny-post delivery. An infants' school, a neat building with apartments for a master and mistress, was erected chiefly at the expense of Mr. and Mrs. Patten: here is also a dispensary.-See DONNYBROOK (ST. MARY).

CLONSKEA

CLONSKEA, anciently CLONSKEAGH, a small village, in that part of the parish of ST. MARY, DONNYBROOK, which is in the half- barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.) from the Post-Office, Dublin, on the road to Enniskerry, by way of Roebuck ; the population is included in the return for the parish. It contains a dye stuff factory and iron-works ; and is within the jurisdiction of the city of Dublin court of requests. ClonskeaCastlegh, the handsome residence of G. Thompson, Esq., affords fine views of the city and bay of Dublin, with the adjacent mountains ; it was built by H. Jackson, who acted a prominent part in the disturbances of 1798. On digging in front of the mansion, a few years since, a layer of muscle shells, about three feet thick, and imbedded in clay, was found about eight feet below the surface. The other seats are Rich View, the residence of M. Powell, Esq., and Virge Mount, of the Rev. J. C. Crosthwaite.

DONNYBROOK (ST. MARY)

DONNYBROOK (ST. MARY), a parish, partly in the half-barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, but chiefly within the county of the city of DUBLIN, 2 miles (S. by E.) from Dublin ; containing 10,394 inhabitants. It includes the villages of Ballsbridge, Clonskea, Donnybrook, Old Merrion, Sandymount, and Ringsend with Irishtown, each of which is described under its own head. The village of Donnybrook is chiefly remarkable for its fair, the patent for which was granted by King John, to continue for 15 days, commencing on the Monday before the 26th of August. On the following day great numbers of horses, cattle, and sheep are sold ; but the principal object is amusement and diversion. It is held in a spacious green belonging to Messrs. Maddens, who derive from it annually about £400. A twopenny post has been established here, since the erection of the Anglesey bridge over the Dodder. A hat manufacture was formerly carried on to a great extent, but it has greatly decreased ; there are some sawmills in the village, and a branch of the city police is stationed here, The parish is situated on the river Dodder, and comprises 1500 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; the lands are fertile and under good cultivation ; and near the village is a quarry of excellent building stone, in which organic remains have been found. Exclusively of the gentlemen's seats described under the head of the several villages near which they are respectively situated, are Anufield, the residence of R. Percival, Esq., M. D. ; Mount Errol, of Sir R. Baker, Knt. ; Montrose, of J. Jameson, Esq., Swanbrook, of Alderman F. Darley ; Gayfield, of T. P. Luscombe, Esq., Commissary-General ; Priest House, of J. Robinson, Esq. ; Stonehouse, of J. Barton, Esq. ; Woodview, of E. J. Nolan, Esq. ; Nutley, of G. Roe, Esq. ; Thornfield, of W. Potts, Esq. ; Airfield, of C. Hogan, Esq. ; Simmons Court Hall, of G. Howell, Esq. ; Belleville, of Alderman Morrison ; Flora Ville, of M. Fitzgerald, Esq. ; Donnybrook Cottage, of A. Colles, Esq., M. D. ; Simmons Court, of P. Madden, Esq. ; and Glenville, of J. O'Dwyer, Esq. Within the parish are iron-works, an extensive calico-printing establishment, a distillery, and salt works. The Dublin and Kingstown rail-road, the road from Dublin by Ballsbridge, and the road to Bray through Stillorgan, pass through it. That part of the parish which is in the county of the city is within the jurisdiction of the Dublin court of conscience. It is a chapelry, in the diocese of Dublin, and forms part of the corps of the archdeaconry of Dublin, The tithes amount to £166 . 3. 0-., to which is added about £300 collected as minister's money : there is no glebe-house, and the glebe comprises only about three-quarters of an acre. The church is a spacious and handsome edifice, in the early style of English architecture, with a tower surmounted by a well-proportioned spire ; and was erected at Simmons Court (the old church in the village having fallen into decay), by a loan of £4154 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1829. In the R. C. divisions the parish is united to those of St. Mark, Tawney, and St. Peter ; there are chapels at Donnybrook and Irishtown, and a spacious chapel is now in progress near Cottage-terrace, Baggot-street, In the avenue leading to Sandymount is a convent of the Sisters of Charity, a branch from the establishment in Stanhope-street, Dublin ; the sisters are employed in visiting the sick and in attending a school for girls ; attached to the convent is a small neat chapel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists close to the village of Donnybrook. A school for boys and another for girls are supported by subscription ; and there is a dispensary at Ballsbridge. The hospital for incurables is in this parish, and is chiefly supported by Grand Jury presentments ; and the Bloomfield retreat for lunatics was established by the Society of Friends. There are cemeteries at Donnybrook and Merrion ; and at Simmons Court are the remains of an old castle, consisting of a massive pointed archway. In the grounds of Gayfield is a medicinal spring, the water of which is similar in its properties to that of Golden Bridge. Lord Chief Justice Downes was born in the castle of Donnybrook, now a boarding school.

MERRION (OLD)

MERRION (OLD), a village, in the parish of ST. MARY'S, DONNYBROOK, in the half-barony of RATHDOWN, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from the General Post-Office, Dublin: the population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the south side of the bay of Dublin, the strand of which is here crossed by the Dublin and Kingstown Railway. Here are several neat villas occupied during the summer months by visiters resorting hither for the benefit, of sea-bathing, for which purpose the fine broad and firm strand at this place is well adapted ; and in the immediate vicinity are several handsome seats, commanding fine views of the bay of Dublin, The principal are Elm Park, the residence of Joseph Watkins, Esq. ; Bloomfield, of Thos. Ord Lees, Esq. ; Merrion Castle, of Fras. Low, Esq. ; and Merrion Hall, of R. Davis, Esq. In the vicinity are also the extensive nursery grounds of Messrs. Simpson, from the dwelling-house in the centre of which is obtained a fine view of the hill of Howth and the sea, and there is a pleasing drive through the grounds from the Rock road to the road to Donnybrook. In the demesne of Merrion Castle are the ivied ruins of the old castle from which it derives its name ; and at the village is an old burial-ground, still generally used.

RINGSEND

RINGSEND, a small town, in that part of the parish of ST. MARY, DONNYBROOK, which is in the county of the city of DUBLIN, in the province of LEINSTER l- mile (E.) from the General Post-office: the population is returned with the parish. This place, according to O'Halloran, was originally called Rin-Aun, signifying, in the Irish language, "the point of the tide," from its situation at the confluence of the Dodder with the Liffey ; its present name is either a singular corruption of the former, or may perhaps have arisen from the large blocks of stone into which rings of iron were inserted for mooring vessels, previously to the construction of the present mole. The town is built upon the eastern bank of the Dodder, and has a mean and dilapidated appearance, having fallen into decay since the discontinuance of its extensive salt-works: its southern portion, which is a few hundred yards detached, is called Irishtown, and is in a less ruinous condition ; it is much frequented for sea-bathing, from its proximity to Dublin. There are also hot and cold sea-water baths ; the Cranfield baths, which are here much frequented, are said to have been the first hot sea water baths erected in Ireland. Iron-works were established here by the grandfather of the late proprietor, Mr. C. K. Clarke, by whom they have been recently disposed of: the articles manufactured are steam-engines and all kinds of machinery, iron boats and utensils of various kinds. There are also glass-works, a chymical laboratory, and a distillery. The Grand Canal Company have docks to the west of this place, opening a communication between the canal and the river Liffey. Ship-building is carried on, and many of the inhabitants are employed in the fishery. Along the whole of the shore are strong embankments to keep out the sea, which at high water is above the level of the town ; and similar precautions are taken to prevent inundation from the river Dodder, which frequently overflows its banks. In 1649, Sir William Ussher, though attended by many of his friends, was drowned in crossing this dangerous stream, over which a bridge of stone was afterwards erected ; but the river suddenly changed its course and rendered it useless, till the stream was again forced into its former channel. In 1796, the corporation for improving the port of Dublin diverted the stream into a new channel through the low grounds between Irishtown and Dublin ; and in 1802 the bridge was destroyed by a flood, and a handsome bridge of granite, of one arch, was erected, over which the road by the docks to Dublin is carried. A church was built in Irishtown, in 1703, under an act of the 2nd of Queen Anne, on account of the distance from the parish church and the difficulty of access from the frequent inundation of the roads. It is an endowed chapelry, in the diocese of Dublin, and in the patronage of the Crown, and is designated, by the 10th of Geo. I., the "Royal chapel of St. Matthew, Ringsend." There is a R. C. chapel in Irishtown, in connection with which is a boys' school, and in the village of Ringsend is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A day school for boys, a Sunday school, an infants' school, a dispensary, and a shop for supply ing the poor with necessaries at reduced prices, are all kept in one large and neat building, erected in Irishtown in 1832, at an expense of £800, defrayed by subscription.

SANDYMOUNT

SANDYMOUNT, a large and populous village, in that part of the parish of ST. MARY, DONNYBROOK, which is within the county of the city of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from the General Post-Office, to which it has a twopenny post: the population is returned with the parish. It is on the southern coast of the bay of Dublin, and is much re-sorted to in summer for seabathing, for which its fine sandy beach presents every facility. The village is very pretty and contains many good houses forming a square, in the centre of which is an ornamental grassplot surrounded by iron railings: there are numerous pretty villas on the strand, for the convenience of summer visiters, whence a new road to Merrion has lately been made along the shore, The principal seats are Lake lands, the residence of Mrs. Williamson, situated in grounds tastefully laid out and commanding fine sea and mountain views ; Wilfield House, of N. Anderson, Esq. ; Sandymount Castle, of R. Corbet, Esq. ; and Sandymount Park, of Capt. W. Dillon, whence is obtained a fine view of the bay of Dublin, with the hill of Howth, Ireland's Eye, Lambay island, the South Wall and the Pigeon House, In the village there are a pa-rochial school, erected in 1833, and supported by subscriptions, and a female school, built and supported by the Misses Hepenstall, aided by £100 from the Lord-Lieutenant's fund. A loan fund and a Bible Associa-tion were established here in 1832 ; there are also a savings-bank and a lending library. A branch of the Sisters of Charity, from Stanhope-street, Dublin, established themselves in Sandymount Avenue about five years since ; the inmates consist of a superioress and five nuns, who instruct about 80 children : a neat chapel attached is open to the public.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021