All entries for Magheradrool



Magheradrool

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Down

BALLINAHINCH

BALLINAHINCH, a market and post-town, in the parish of MAGHERADROLL, barony of KINELEARTY, county of DOWN, and province of Ulster, 8 miles (E.) from Dromore, and 74? (N. by E.) from Dublin; containing 970 inhabitants. This town was founded by Sir George Rawdon, Bart., after the insurrection of 1641, as appears by the patent of Chas. II. granting the manor of Kinelearty to the Rawdon family, which, after reciting that Sir George had built a town and two mills, and had repaired the church, and that a large space had been appropriated for holding markets and fairs, created that manor, with a demesne of 1000 acres and courts leet and baron, and granted the privilege of a market to be held on Thursday, and two fairs annually. During the disturbances of 1798, the main body of the insurgents, after being repulsed near Saintfield, took post here on Windmill-hill and on some high ground in the demesne of the Earl of Moira, a descendant dl' Sir G. Rawdon. On the 12th of June, Gen. Nugent marched against them from Belfast with the Monaghan regiment of militia, part of the 22nd dragoons, and some yeomanry infantry and cavalry; and was joined near this place by Lieut. - Col. Stewart with his party from Downpatrick, making in all about 1500 men. The insurgents were soon driven from their post on the Windmill-hill, and the king's troops set fire to the town. Both parties spent the night in preparations for a general action, which took place at an early hour on the following morning, and was maintained about three hours with artillery, but with little effect. At length the Monaghan regiment of militia, posted with two field-pieces at Lord Moira's gate, was attacked with such determined fury by the pikemen of the insurgents that it fell back in confusion on the Hillsborough cavalry, which retreated in disorder; but these troops having rallied, while the Argyleshire fencibles entering the demesne, were making their attack on another side, the insurgents retired to a kind of fortification on the top of the hill, which for some time they defended with great courage, but at length gave way and dispersed in all directions; the main body fled to the mountains of Slieve Croob, where they soon surrendered or retired to their several homes, and thus was the insurrection terminated in this quarter. The town is situated on the road from Dromore to Saintfield, and consists of a square and four streets, comprising, in 1831, 171 houses, many of which are well built. The market is on Thursday, and is well supplied; and fairs are held on the first Thursday in January, Feb. 12th, March 3rd, April 5th, May 19th, July 10th, Aug. 18th, Oct. 6th, and Nov. 17th. A linen-hall was built by the Earl of Moira, but it has fallen into ruins. Here is a station of the constabulary police. A court for the manor of Kinelearty was formerly held, in which debts to the amount of #10 were recoverable, but it has fallen into disuse. There is a large court-house in the square, built by Lord Moira in 1795, but now in a dilapidated state. The same nobleman also built a church in 1772, which having fallen into decay was taken down in 1829, and a new edifice was erected on its site, towards which #850 was granted by the late Board of First Fruits; the tower and spire of the old building remain on the west side of the present church. Opposite to it is a spacious R. C. chapel; and there are three places of worship for Presbyterians, one in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and the others in connection with the Seceding Synod. A school for girls is supported by voluntary contributions. In a picturesque and fertile valley, two miles south of the town, is a powerful sulphureous chalybeate spring, which is much resorted to during summer, and has been highly efficacious in scrophulous disorders: there are two wells, one for drinking and the other for bathing, but sufficient accommodation is not provided for the numbers that repair to the spot.-See MAGHERADROLL.

MAGHERADROLL

MAGHERADROLL, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER IVEAGH, but chiefly in that of KINELEARTY, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Dromore to Saintfield ; containing, with the post-town of Ballinahinch (which is separately described), 7530 inhabitants. This parish, according to the Ord-nance survey, comprises 12,552 statute acres, of which 628? are in the barony of Lower Iveagh, and the remainder in Kinelearty ; 176? acres are water, and of the remainder, about two-thirds are land of the richest quality and in the highest state of cultivation ; the other portion, though inferior, is still fertile, and there is scarcely any wasteland. Slate of excellent quality is found in the townland of Ballymacarne, but not worked. Nearly in the centre of the parish is Montalto, formerly the seat of the Earl of Moira, by whom it was built, and now the property and occasional residence of D. Kerr, Esq.: the mansion is spacious and the demesne extensive. During the disturbances of 1798, a party of the insurgents took up a position in the park, from which they were driven by the king's forces with great loss. The weaving of linen, cotton, and muslin is carried on extensively, and there are two large bleach-greens in the parish. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dromore, and in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to #775. 3. 8?., of which #200 is payable to the vicar, and the remainder to the bishop. The glebe-house, towards which the late Board of First Fruits granted a gift of #400 and a loan of #400, in 1817, is a handsome residence ; and the glebe comprises 42 acres, valued at #86 per annum, and some gardens let to labourers at #5 per annum. The church, built in 1830 at an expense of #850 advanced on loan by the same Board, is a neat edifice with a tower and spire, and is situated close to the town of Ballinahinch. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Dunmore, or Maghera-Hamlet ; the chapel at Ballinahinch is a large and handsome edifice. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the first class, and with the Seceding Synod, of the first and second classes. About 650 children are taught in seven public schools ; the parochial school-house was built in 1824, by aid of a grant from the lord-lieutenant's school fund ; and there are six private schools, in which are about 180 children, and six Sunday schools. The late S. M. Johnstone, Esq., bequeathed one-third of the profits of a work entitled the "Medley," published in 1802, amounting to about #4. 3. 4. per annum, which is annually distributed among the poor at Christmas. There are some remains of the ancient church, about a mile from the town, with a large cemetery, in which are interred several of the ancient and powerful family of the Magennises of Kilwarlin .


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019