All entries for Kilcoo



Kilcoo

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Down

BRYANSFORD

BRYANSFORD, a village, in the parish of KILCOO, barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of LSTER, 2? miles (S.) from Castlewellan containing 185 inhabitants. This village, which is situated on the road from Newry to Newcastle, contains about 30 houses neatly built, chiefly in the Elizabethan style, the gardens in front of which give it a comfortable and rural appearance, and the surrounding scenery is agreeably diversified. Tollymore Park, the seat of the Earl of Roden, is a beautiful residence situated in extensive grounds embellished with some of the finest larch trees in the country; it is approached by three noble entrances, called respectively the barbican, the central, and the hilltown; the central entrance from the village is through a very lofty archway, and in the lodge is kept a book for entering the names of visiters; the grounds are always open to the public. There is a good inn and posting-house, with every accommodation for families. The parish church of Kilcoo, a spacious edifice with a lofty embattled tower, is situated in the village; and at a short distance to the north of it is a R. C. chapel, belonging to the union of Bryansford or Lower Kilcoo; it is a neat edifice in the later English style, erected in 1831 at an expense of #900, on a site given by the Earl of Roden. A school for boys, built in 1826, is supported by the same nobleman; and adjoining it is a circulating library also maintained by the Earl and gratuitously open to all the people of the village: there is a female school, built in 1822 and supported wholly by the Countess of Roden.-See KILCOO.

KILCOO

KILCOO, a parish, in the barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Castlewellan, on the road from Newry to Downpatrick ; containing 6520 inhabitants. It is situated on the eastern coast, at the base of Slieve Donard, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 18,205? statute acres, of which 15,741 are applotted under the tithe act. The surface is very uneven, and the land, with the exception of that around the village of Bryansford, cold, wet, and unproductive ; its cultivation is also much impeded by the great number of stones which are scattered over it in every direction. The mountains of Slieve Donard (which has an elevation of 2796 feet above the level of the sea) and Slieve Bingian, of 2449 feet, are within the parish, forming part of a chain rising at Newcastle and extending to Rosstrevor, a distance of 20 miles ; the northern sides are here covered with verdure, but the south and west sides present chiefly large tracts of bog. The principal seats are Tollymore Park, the elegant residence of the Earl of Roden, situated in a richly wooded and well watered demesne ; Donard Lodge, the handsome mansion of the Earl of Annesley, erected in 1830 on the acclivity of Slieve Donard, and commanding some fine views ; Brook Lodge, of W. Beers, Esq. ; and Burren Cottage, of the Hon. Gen. Meade : there are also many very good houses at Bryansford and Newcastle (which see), and at Drumlee is the neat cottage of the Rev. J. Porter. The parish is in the diocese of Down, and the rectory forms part of the union of Kilkeel and corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of Down ; the tithes amount to #300. The church, with the village of Kilcoo, was burnt in 1641, and in 1712 a church was built at Bryansford, which, being too small for the congregation, was considerably enlarged in 1806, when a handsome tower was added to it ; and was repaired by aid of a grant from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1812. There is also a handsome church with a lofty tower at Newcastle, built in the year l833, at the expense of Earl Annesley, who appoints the minister and pays his stipend. In the R. C. divisions the parish includes the districts of Bryansford and Kilcoo ; there are three chapels, situated respectively at Bryansford, Newcastle, and Ballymony ; and at Newcastle is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school at Fofeny was founded in 1822, by the Earl of Roden, who also built another for boys, with a house for the master, in 1826, and by whom both are supported. A school for girls at Bryansford, with a cottage for the mistress, was built in 1822, and is supported by the Countess of Roden ; and there are schools at Lower Kilcoo, Ballymoney, and Ardaghy. About 650 children are taught in these schools, and there is also a private school, in which are about 40 children. On the western side of the parish, at Lough Island Reavy, a reservoir has been constructed for supplying water to the river Bann in dry weather; it covers an area of 255 acres, and when filled will contain a supply for 13 weeks ; the expense to the river Bann Company has been estimated at #20,000. A new quay has been erected at Newcastle, to afford shelter to vessels passing the channel in stormy weather ; the expense was defrayed by a grant from government, aided by a subscription from Earl Annesley.

NEWCASTLE

NEWCASTLE, a small sea-port town, in the parish of KILCOO, barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 3? miles (S. E.) from Castlewellan ; containing 987 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the shore of Dundrum bay, in the Irish sea, derives its name from a castle erected here by Felix Magennis, in the memorable year of the Spanish Armada ; and though only an inconsiderable fishing village previously to the year 1822, it has since been gradually increasing in importance. In addition to its trade as a port, it has made great advances as a fashionable place for sea-bathing, and is now nearly a mile in length, containing several large and handsome private dwelling-houses, and numerous comfortable and respectable lodging-houses. The castle, built by Magennis close to the sea shore, has been taken down, and on its site Earl Annesley has erected a spacious and elegant hotel, from a design by Mr. Duff, of Belfast, at an expense of #3000, which is fitted up with superior accommodations, including hot and cold baths, and every requisite arrangement. The house is beautifully situated and commands a most extensive prospect, embracing the isle and calf of Man in the foreground, and in the rear the lofty mountains of Mourne. Earl Annesley has also built an elegant marine residence, called Donard Lodge, at the foot of Slieve Donard ; the demesne is laid out with great taste, and within its limits is a chalybeate spa, to which the public has free access. The other seats are Tollymore, the residence of Mrs. Keowen, situated near the town ; Brook Lodge, of W. Beers, Esq. ; and the residence of John Law, Esq., a handsome mansion in the Elizabethan style. The environs are of pleasing character, and abound with interesting scenery ; they afford many agreeable walks and rides, and within two miles of the town are Tollymore Park, the handsome seat of the Earl of Roden, and the beautiful village and church of Bryansford. The trade of the port consists chiefly in the export of oats, barley, and potatoes, of which large quantities are sent to Dublin and Liverpool. A commodious pier has been erected on an extensive scale, at an expense of #30,000 ; it is accessible at high water to vessels of large burden, and has been very beneficial to the trade of the town. Granite of very fine quality abounds in the neighbourhood ; the quarry was first opened, in 1824, by J. Lynn, Esq., and the stone is conveyed from the mountain by a railroad to the pier, and large quantities of it are shipped. From this quarry was raised the stone for the court-house, new prison, infirmary, and fever hospital of Downpatrick, the chapel of ease in this town, and the spire of Inch church. Newcastle is the head of a coast-guard district, which extends from Strangford to Warren Point, including the stations of Gun Island, Ardglass, St. John's Point or Killough, Leestone, and Cranfield, comprising a force of one resident inspector, seven officers, and 66 men, A penny post has been established to Castlewellan, and a constabulary police force has been stationed here. The chapel of ease is a handsome building, with a spire at the east end ; it was erected at an expense of #1500 by Earl Annesley, who pays the curate a stipend of #100. In the mountains and streams near the town are found fine specimens of rock crystal, of the various hues of beryl, emerald, amethyst, and topaz, some of which have brought high prices. Sand eels are found in great numbers on the beach at particular seasons. Within a mile and a half is a place called the Giant's steps, near which is a cavity of great depth, resembling the shaft of a mine, and called Armour's Hole, from the circumstance of a man of that name having been thrown into it, whose body was found next day at St. John's Point, about ten miles distant. At a small distance from it is a cavern resembling a tunnel, supposed to have been excavated in the rock by the incessant action of the waves.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2019