All Lewis entries for Kilbroney



Kilbroney

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Down


KILBRONEY

KILBRONEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Newry to Kilkeel; containing, with the town of Rosstrevor, 4257 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 13,208? statute acres, of which 275 are woodland, about 5,000 arable, and the remainder bog and mountain, the latter of which affords excellent pasture. Here are some large bleach-greens, and some lead mines. The principal seats are the Lodge, the residence of D. Ross, Esq.; Brandensburg, of Mrs. Ross; Carpenham, of H. Hamilton, Esq.; Green Park, of Mrs. O'Brien; Amos Vale, of the Ven. Dean Carter; Ballyedmund, of A. Stewart, Esq.; Woodhouse, of Mrs. Reynell; Old Hall, of Smithson Corry, Esq.; and Crayfield, of W. J. Maguire, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Dromore, and in the gift of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to #155. 6. 6., of which one-third is pay. able to the vicar, and two-thirds to the Bishop. The church, which is in Rosstrevor, is a handsome cruciform edifice, with a lofty tower and pinnacles: it was built at an expense of #2000, of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814, gave #200 and lent #1100. The Board also granted #450 as a gift, and #120 as a loan, for the erection of the glebe-house, in 1821: the glebe comprises 11 acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains two chapels, one in Rosstrevor, the other at Killowen. About 600 children are educated in six schools, to one of which Mrs. Ross contributes #13. 16. l1., to another Mrs. Balfour contributes #20, and to a third the R. C. clergyman contributes #5, annually. On the acclivity of a mountain is a very large stone, called Cloughmerne, which was formerly part of a cromlech; and near Killowen are the ruins of Green Castle. It was built by Walter de Burgh, Earl of Ulster, destroyed by the Irish in 1343, rebuilt soon after on a large scale, and dismantled by order of Cromwell. Here are also the remains of Castle Roe, or Ross Trevor Castle. On the Hillstown road are time ruins of Kilbroney church, in which a cloghban, or " white bell," was some years since discovered; also an ancient stone cross and a holy well. In 1834 a spacious cave was discovered, containing broken urns filled with calcined human bones and ashes. A chalybeate spring was formerly much resorted to, but is now almost neglected.-See ROSSTREVOR.


ROSTREVOR

ROSTREVOR, or ROSETREVOR, a sea-port and post-town, in the parish of KILBRONEY, barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Newry, and 67 (N.) from Dublin ; containing 996 inhabitants. This place was anciently called Castle Roe or Rory, from its original founder, Rory, one of the family of the Magennises, Lords of Iveagh, of whose baronial castle, subsequently occupied by the Trevor family, there are still some remains near the town ; it derived its present appellation from Rose, youngest daughter of Sir Marmaduke Whitchurch, after whose marriage with Trevor, Viscount Dungannon, the family seat, Iveagh castle, was invariably called Rosetrevor. The town is beautifully situated in a cove of Carlingford Lough, at the western termination of the Mourne mountains, and contains 185 houses, which are large and handsomely built. The streets are wide and open, and the whole town has a cheerful and attractive appearance. The air is salubrious, and the town is very desirable as a residence from its fine situation on a gentle eminence sheltered by mountains on the north, south, and east, and open on the west to Carlingford bay, the shores of which are richly planted and embellished with numerous seats, handsome villas, and picturesque cottages. The port is principally frequented by fishing boats, for the accommodation of which there is a small quay, from which is a walk nearly a mile in length, thickly shaded with trees ; and on the side of the mountain is a stone of very large dimensions, called Cloughmorne, which is frequently visited for the very extensive and beautiful prospect it commands. Between this place and Warrenspoint, in Carlingford Lough, is a large extent of soft ground, on which are two fathoms of water, where large vessels frequenting the port of Newry lie at their moorings, In the vicinity of the town are some salt-works. Fairs are held here on Shrove-Tuesday, Aug. 1st, Sept. 19th, Nov. 1st, and Dec. 11th. The parish church, a handsome cruciform edifice with a lofty embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, is situated in the principal street ; and near it is a neat R. C. chapel, with a campanile turret. Here are handsome school-houses, with residences for the masters and mistresses ; the schools are supported by Mrs. Ross and Mrs Balfour. There are some remains of Castle Roe and Greencastle, and of the old churches of Kilbroney and Killowen ; and near the town is a monumental obelisk, erected to the memory of Gen. Ross, who fell in a battle near Baltimore, in America, while leading on the British troops to the victory which they obtained on the 12th of Sept., 1814 ; on the four sides of the pedestal are recorded the principal engagements in which that gallant officer bore a conspicuous part.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020 Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!