LAVAY, or LOWEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER LOUGHTEE, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Cavan, on the road to Virginia ; containing 6305 inhabitants. According to the Ordnance survey it comprises 10,679 statute acres, of which 76- are water. The land is highly cultivated ; there are some large tracts of bog, affording an abundant supply of fuel. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Westmeath. The tithes amount to £386. 5., of which £153. 15. is payable to the impropriator, and £232. 10. to the vicar. The church, a very neat edifice, was erected by aid of a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1817, and has been recently repaired by a grant of £152 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains the Upper chapel, built in 1820, and the Lower chapel, which has been recently built, at an expense of nearly £2000, on a site given by Major G. Burrowes. There are seven private schools, in which about 490 children are educated. Here are some Danish raths ; and several heads of battle-axes and brazen spears were discovered on an artificial island while draining Lake Lavey in 1832, and are in the possession of J. Smith, Esq.