All Lewis entries for Crosserlough



Crosserlough

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cavan

BALLYJAMESDUFF

BALLYJAMESDUFF, a market and post-town, and a district parish, in the barony of CASTLERAHAN, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 8- miles (S. E.) from Cavan, and 44- miles (N. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 3227 inhabitants, of which number, 863 are in the town. The town is situated on the old mail coach road from Virginia to Cavan, and consists of five streets, containing together 150 houses. The market is on Tuesday, and is amply supplied; and fairs are held on Feb. 4th, March 8th, April 16th, May 7th, June 10th, July 17th, Aug. 15th, Sept. 2nd, Oct. 26th, Nov. 29th, and Dec. 23rd. Here is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held. The parish was created in 1831, by disuniting nine townlands from the parish of Castleraghan five from that of Denn, two from Lurgan, and four from the parish of Kildrumferton. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the several Incumbents of the above parishes, who present in rotation: the stipend of the perpetual curate is £80 per annum, towards which £30 is contributed by the incumbent of Castleraghan, £20 by the incumbent of Kildrumferton, and £15 each by the incumbents of Denn and Lurgan. The church is a plain edifice, erected in 1834 by aid of a grant of £900 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and subscriptions amounting to £200. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Castleraghan and Munterconnaught; the chapel is a spacious building. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and of the third class; also two for Wesleyan Methodists. A school at Remonan is supported by Lord Farnham, and another at Ballyjamesduff is aided by private subscriptions: about 140 boys and 150 girls are instructed in these schools; and there are three pay schools, situated respectively at Rawson, Lackenmore, and Lackenduff, in which are about 180 boys and 90 girls.

KILDRUMFERTON

KILDRUMFERTON, or CROSSERLOUGH, a parish, partly in the baronies of UPPER LOUGHTEE and CLONMAHON, but chiefly in that of CASTLERAHAN, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 9 miles (N. W.) from Oldcastle, on the road from Killesandra to Ballinagh; containing 9687 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 16,436- statute acres (including 207- under water), of which 11,729- are in Castlerahan, 4445- in Clonmahon, and the remainder in Upper Loughtee, and of which 15,535 are applotted under the tithe act; about two-thirds are arable, one-third pasture, and the remainder woodland and bog. Fairs for live stock are held here on June 29th and Aug. 26th. The principal seats are Kilnacrot, the residence of Pierce Morton, Esq., and Kilmainham, of A. Bell, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the representatives of Richard Earl of Westmeath, and the tithes amount to £672, of which £272 is payable to the impropriators and £400 to the vicar. In 1831, four towulands were separated from this parish to form part of the perpetual curacy of Ballyjamesduff, to the incumbent of which the vicar of Kildrumferton pays an annual stipend of £20. The church is a very neat structure, rebuilt in 1812, for which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £550, and recently repaired by aid of a grant of £114 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £100 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1810: the glebe comprises 420 acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, but is commonly called Crosserlough; there is a large and well-built chapel at Drumkeely, and the chapel at Crosserlough has lately been rebuilt. About 400 children are educated in four public schools, one of which is supported by Lord Farnham, and about 560 in seven private schools.

KILNALECK

KILNALECK, a village, in the parish of KILDRUMFERTON, barony of CASTLERAGHAN, county of CAVAN, and province of ULSTER, 8 miles (S. W.) from Cavan, on the road from Ballyjamesduff to Ballinagh ; containing 64 houses and 347 inhabitants. It is a constabulary police station, and has fairs for cattle on Feb. 2nd. March 25th, May 13th, June 11th, Aug. 10th, Sept. 12th, Nov. 1st, and Dec. 17th.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021