All Lewis entries for Urglin



Urglin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Carlow

BENEKERRY

BENEKERRY, otherwise BUSHERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHVILLY (but locally in that of CARLOW, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (E. N. E.) from Carlow; containing 135 inhabitants. This parish is situate on the road from Carlow to Tullow, and is bounded on the south-west and east by the river Burren: more than four-fifths consists of meadow and pasture land, and the remainder is amble, with a few acres of woodland. In the ecclesiastical divisions it is not regarded as a parish, but as forming part of that of Urglin, the incumbent of which receives the tithes, except of about ten acres, which pay tithe to the incumbent of Ballinacarrig or Staplestown.

KERNANSTOWN

KERNANSTOWN, a parish, in the barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2 m. (N.) from Carlow, on the road to Castledermot; containing 419 inhabitants. It is considered a separate parish for civil purposes only; in the ecclesiastical divisions it appertains to those of Urglin, Clonmulsh, and Carlow.

PALATINETOWN

PALATINETOWN, a hamlet, in the parish or URGLIN, barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (N. E.) from Carlow, on the road to Castledermot ; containing 88 inhabitants. It is said to derive its name from a colony of German refugees, who were driven from their native country, and settled here, in the reign of Louis XIV. The Rt. Hon. B. Burton obtained a patent for four fairs, of which that on the 26th of March is the only one at present held. A constabulary police force is stationed in the village.

URGLIN

URGLIN, or RUTLAND, a parish, in the barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2- miles (E. N. E.) from Carlow, on the road from that town to Castledermot ; containing 977 inhabitants. This parish comprises 3080 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2715 per annum : the greater part of the land is in small holdings, and the system of agriculture is improving. The seats are Burton Hall, the residence of W. F. Burton, Esq., pleasantly situated on a rising ground in a finely planted demesne, app roached by a long and wide avenue of trees ; Rutland House, of - Mosse, Esq. ; Rutland Lodge, of E. Burton, Esq. ; Johnstown, of T. Elliott, Esq. ; Benekerry Lodge, of E. Gorman, Esq. , Mount Sion, of B. Colclough, Esq ; and Benekerry House, of Mrs. Neton. At Palatinetown there is a constabulary station, and a fair is held there on the 26th of March, The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, united in 1713 to the rectory of Grangeforth, and by act of council, in 1803, to the impropriate cure of Killerick, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £250, and of the union to £542. 19. 2-. The church is a neat plain building with a spire, erected in 1821 by aid (of a loan of £700 from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district ofe Tullow, and partly in that of Tinriland, and contains a chapel belongiiig to the latter division, situated at Benekerry. About 50 children are taught in a public school, and 110 in two private schools .


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021