All Lewis entries for Rahill



Rahill

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Carlow

RAHILL

RAHILL and BROUGHLSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHVILLY, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Baltinglass ; containing 269 inhabitants, This parish is situated at the northern extremity of the county, on the confines of Wicklow, and is bounded on the east by the river Slaney : it comprises 2636 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, about four-fifths of which consist of meadow and pasture, and the remainder of arable land, with a few acres of bog. It is a rectory and impropriate cure, in the diocese of Leighlin ; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter, and the curacy forms part of the union of Rathvilly : the tithes amount to £184. 12. 3-. In the R. C. divisions also it is included in the union or district of Rathvilly. On the townland of Rahill are the ruins of the old church, with a burial ground attached ; the surrounding scenery is of a pleasing character, embracing the mountains of Cadeen and Lugnaquilla, in the adjoining county of Wicklow.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021