All Lewis entries for Moyacomb


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Carlow


CLONEGAL, a post-town, in that part of the parish of MOYACOMB which is in the barony of ST. MULLINS NORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER , 14? miles (S. E. by E.) from Carlow, and 53? (S. S. W.) from Dublin ; containing 446 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Tullow to Newtownbarry, and on the river Derry, which divides it into two parts, and in 1831 comprised 76 houses, Fairs are held on July 31st, Nov. 12th and 22nd, and the first Wednesday in and the 11th of December, for cattle : fairs for the sale of frieze were formerly held on the first Wednesdays in February, March, and May, and on Ascension-day, but have been discontinued. Here is a Constabulary police station. The parish church, a good modern building, is situated in the town ; and there are a R. C. chapel, a place of worship for Methodists, and a handsome school-house in connection with the National Board, lately built. Here is also a castellated mansion built by the family of Esmonde, in 1625.-See MOYACOMB.


MOYACOMB or CLONEGAL, a parish, partly in the barony of SHILLELAGH, county of WICKLOW, partly in that of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, but chiefly in that of ST. MULLINS, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Tullow to Newtownbarry, and on the river Derry ; containing with the post-town of Clonegal and the village of Johnstown, (both separately described) 4877 inhabitants. It comprises 28,204 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which 9347- are in Wicklow, 9287- in Wexford, and 9569 in Carlow. The portion in the county of Wexford includes the estate of Abbeydown, containing 452 plantation acres, which has been tithe-free from time immemorial, and is considered extra-parochial. The soil is varied, and there are some patches of bog : the state of agriculture is gradually improving. A slate quarry has been lately opened on Gibbet hill, near Johnstown. Several fairs held at Clonegal are mentioned under that head ; it is also a station of the constabulary police, and contains an old castellated mansion of the Esmonde family. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the La Touche family : the tithes amount to £850. The church, in the town of Clonegal, is a good modern building, erected in 1819, for which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £1300 ; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £186 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish is chiefly in the diocese of Kildare and Leighlin, and, together with the parish of Barragh, constitutes the union or district of Clonegal, containing the chapels of Clonegal and Kildavin ; the remainder of the parish is in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the union or district of Arklow, and containing the chapel of Ballyfad, near Johnstown. There is a meeting-house for Methodists at Clonegal, In the parochial school, supported by the rector, and in the national school at Clonegal, about 210 children are educated ; and there are about 30 children in a private school. At Abbeydown are the remains of an ancient religious house, of which no account is extant.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021