All entries for Kiltennell



Kiltennell

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Carlow

KILLEDMUND

KILLEDMUND, a village, in the parish of KILTENNEL, barony of IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Myshall to Enniscorthy ; containing 47 houses and 236 inhabitants. This place, being situated at the western foot of Mount Leinster, includes within its scenery the Blackstairs mountains and Scullogh Gap: during the disturbances of 1798 it was burnt by the insurgents. It contains the parish church and school, and has fairs on March 12th, and July 15th.

KILTENNEL

KILTENNEL, a parish, in the barony of IDRONE EAST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 3? miles (N. E. by N.) from Graigue, on the road to Enniscorthy ; containing 3206 inhabitants. It comprises 1826 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is in a wild district bordering on Mount-Leinster. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to #385, of which #250 is payable to the impropriator, and #135 to the vicar. The church, which is in Killedmund, is a neat building. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Borris. There are a parochial and a national school, in which about 280 children are educated ; and two private schools, in which are about 200 children. The ruins of the old church are covered with ivy ; there are also the remains of a chapel at its eastern end, which was erected in 1789 by Capt. E. Byrne, and the fragments of a granite cross and a cairn.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2018