All Lewis entries for Killinane



Killinane

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Carlow

KILLINANE

KILLINANE, a parish, partly in the barony of IDRONE EAST, but chiefly in that of IDRONE WEST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1- mile (S. W.) from Bagnalstown, on the road from Gowran to Carlow : containing 899 inhabitants. Killinane House is the residence of - Groome, Esq., and Malcolmville, of Capt. Mulhallen ; the latter is situated on rising ground above the Barrow, and commands extensive views. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Leighlin, forming the corps of the chancellorship, and in the gift of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £270. This parish is annexed, under the provisions of the act of the 4th of Geo. IV., c. 86, to the parish of Wells, and the inhabitants enjoy all the rights of its church, as if they were parishioners. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Old Leighlin. The old church is in ruins.

ROYAL OAK

ROYAL OAK, a village, in the parish of KILLINANE, barony of IDRONE WEST, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S. W.) from Bagnalstown, on the road from Dublin to Carlow ; containing 82 houses and 428 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Barrow, which is here crossed by a bridge, and derives its name from that of an old and well-known inn in its vicinity, which was established previously to the erection of the village.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021