All Lewis entries for Tynan



Tynan

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Armagh


KILLYLEAGH

KILLYLEAGH, a district parish, partly in the barony of TURANEY, and partly in that of ARMAGH, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Armagh, on the road from that place to Caledon ; containing 3452 inhabitants. It was formed out of the parishes of Armagh, Tynan, and Derrynoose, under the provisions of the act of the 8th of Geo. IV., cap. 43 ; and comprises 5635 statute acres of very fertile arable and pasture land, which is under an excellent system of cultivation. A great part of the parish and the whole of the village belong to Trinity College, Dublin. Here are some excellent quarries of freestone, clay-slate, and limestone, of which the last is extensively worked: coal also exists on the College estate, but is not much used. Linen-weaving is carried on to a considerable extent. The village, which is on the side of a hill near the Ulster Canal, consists of one long street of stone houses: it has a penny post to Armagh and Tynan, and a cattle fair on the last Friday in every month. A court for the manor of Toaghey and Balteagh is held monthly, for the recovery of debts under 40s. The principal seats in the parish are Elm Park, the residence of the Earl of Charlemont, which is in a beautifully planted demesne ; Knappagh, of 3. Johnston, Esq. ; Woodpark, of A. St. George, Esq. ; Fellows-hall, of T. K. Armstrong, Esq. ; and Dartan, of Maxwell Cross, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the alternate patronage of the rectors of Armagh, Derrynoose, and Tynan, each of whom contributes to the perpetual curate's stipend. The church, which was erected by subscription in 1832, is a handsome building, with a lofty square tower, on an eminence. About 210 children are educated in the parochial and another public school, the latter of which is aided by an annual donation from - Close, Esq. ; and about 140 in two private schools.


MIDDLETOWN

MIDDLETOWN, a market-town and district parish, in the barony of TURANEY, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Tynan, to which it has a penny-post, and on the high road from Armagh to Monaghan ; containing 5145 inhabitants, of which number, 735 are in the town. This place owes its present prosperity to Dr. Sterne, a former bishop of Clogher, who in the latter part of the last century bequeathed the then village of Middletown, eight townlands in this parish, and five in the adjoining parish of Donagh, in the county of Monaghan, to trustees (incorporated by an act of the Irish parliament passed in 1772), who have expended considerable sums for the benefit of the tenantry in general, and in the erection of a market-house, school-house, dispensary, and fever hospital at Middletown. The town consists of two streets crossing each other at right angles, and contained, in 1831, 160 houses, which number has been since increased to 187 : several of the houses are large and well built. An extensive distillery, with machinery on an improved principle, was established here in 1831, by Mr. Matthew Johnston : it produces annually about 80,000 gallons of whiskey, and consumes on an average 1500 barrels of malt, and 12,000 barrels of raw grain. The distillery has caused the establishment of markets for grain on Wednesday and Saturday, and there is a market on Thursday for provisions. Fairs are held on the first Thursday in each month, for horses, cattle, and pigs. Here is a statioa of the constabulary police, and petty sessions are held on alternate Wednesdays.

The district parish, which was formed in 1792, by disuniting 33 townlands from the parish of Tynan, comprises 7339 statute acres ; it contains a considerable portion of bog, that supplies abundance of fuel ; coal is supposed to exist, and there is a quarry of good stone, the produce of which is applied to building purposes. The land on one side of the town is low, flat, and marshy, and on the other hilly and tolerably good ; and there are several lakes, which discharge their waters into that of Glaslough, in the county of Monaghan. The Ulster canal, now in progress from Lough Erne to Lough Neagh, will pass through the parish. The principal seats are Ashfort, the residence of H. Harris, Esq., and Chantilly, of the Rev. James Mauleverer. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Rector of Tynan, who allows a stipend of #50 to the curate, together with the glebe, comprising 54 statute acres, and valued at #56. 5. 3. per annum, The glebe-house, a neat mansion called Chantilly, was built by aid of a gift of #450, and a loan of #50 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1812. The church, a plain but commodious building, was erected in 1793. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms a separate district under the name of Upper Tynan : the chapel, a plain building, is at Ashfort, about a quarter of a mile from the town. There are two places of worship for Presbyterians of the Seceding Synod, one of the third class in the town, and one of the second class at Drumhillery. The school at Middletown was founded in 1820, by the trustees of Bishop Sterne's charity, who have endowed it with about #70 per ann. ; and the school at Drumhillery was built and is chiefly supported by the Earl of Caledon : in these, and in the parochial school at Crossdall, about 250 children are educated. There are also six private schools, containing about 160 children ; and six Sunday schools. Bishop Sterne's trustees are now establishing schools at Feduff and Tullybrick ; also an infants' school in the town. The fever hospital is a neat edifice, built in 1834, containing 4 wards with accommodation for 16 patients ; and the dispensary, with a residence for the physician, is a handsome building in the Elizabethan style : both are entirely supported by the bishop's trustees. Midway between Middletown and Keady are the ruins of the ancient castle of Crifcairn, of which the western portion only remains : the walls are 9 feet thick and about 66 feet high, and there are the remains of some arches that appear to have been turned on wattle or basket work. Several traditions respecting this castle prevail among the peasantry. Ardgonnell castle, the ruins of which also exist, was built by the O'Nials, and its last occupant was Sir Phelim O'Nial, the first commander of the Irish at the breaking out of the war of 1641.


TYNAN

TYNAN, a post-town and parish, partly im the barony of ARMAGH, but chiefly in that of TURANEY, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 6? miles (W. by S.) from Armagh, and 72 (N. by W.) from Dublin, on the road from Armagh to Monaghan ; containing with the town of Middleton and the village of Killyleagh (both separately described), 11,542 inhabitants, of which number, 243 are in the town of Tynan. This was formerly a parish of great extent and importance : it is noticed in Pope Nicholas's Taxation in 1291 as belonging to the Colidei or Culdees of Armagh, who are said to have retained possession of it for some time after the Reformation, It was united with Derrynoose in the 14th and 15th of Chas. II., but the union was severed by an act of the 8th of Anne, c. 13, and lately the district parishes of Killyleagh and Middleton have been separated from it, It contains 17,646 statute acres, of which 80? are under water, being the small lakes of Portnelligan, Houslough, and Kiltubrit, which discharge their superfluous waters into Glaslough, in the county of Monaghan, The soil is generally a rich loam of considerable depth : tillage is carried on to a great extent and under an excellent system : flax of the best quality is grown in very large quantities. There is no wasteland ; bogs were numerous, but they are now mostly cut out or reclaimed : there are several quarries of limestone and freestone. Though the coal formation extends over a considerable district, little advantage has been derived from it, as the veins hitherto discovered are too thin to be worked with profit. Here was formerly an extensive forest, known by the name of the Bondville wood, consisting chiefly of oak, ash and fir, and extending over several hundred acres, but it was all cut away during a period in which the estate was under litigation. At Doogary and at Belteagh are large flour-mills, The Ulster canal, designed to connect Loughs Neagh and Erne, passes through the parish. The town, situated on an eminence, contains 40 houses ; it has a dispensary, and petty sessions are held in it every second Wednesday and at Middleton on the alternate Wednesdays. The lands of the parish are divided among several proprietors in fee, Ten townlands belong to the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin ; eight to the trustees of Bishop Sterne's charities ; the remainder to Lord Gosford, Lord Cale-don, Sir James Stronge, Bart., and several others. The great number of resident gentlemen who spend their incomes in the improvement of their property and in the diffusion of comfort and useful information through-out the district has tended much to the prosperity of all classes, the existence of which is apparent in the highly improved culture of the land, the exterior of the farm-houses and cottages, and the general appearance and demeanour of the population. The most remarkable seats are Tynan Abbey, the residence of Sir J. M. Stronge, who is proprietor of the village of the same name ; Woodpark, of Capt. Acheson St. George ; Fellows Hall, of T. Knox Armstrong, Esq. ; Mount Irwin, of W. Irwin, Esq. ; Darton, of Maxwell Cross, Esq. ; Portnelligan, of Alex. Cross, Esq. ; Ashfort, of Hugh Harris, Esq. ; Bondville, of H. Coote Bond, Esq. ; the glebe, of the Rev. W. Mauleverer ; and Chantilly glebe, of the Rev. J. W. Trew.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, being the corps of the prebend of Tynan in the cathedral of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord Primate : the tithes amount to #800. 1. 7., out of which the curates of Killyleagh and Middleton are paid : the townland of Cortaynan, comprising 564 acres, is tithe-free : the incumbent of Tynan has the appointment of the curate of Middleton and every third turn of that of the curate of Killyleagh, The glebe-house was built in 1777, at an expense of #1 108 British, and has been since improved at a cost of #1442 : the glebe contains 217a. 3r. 6p., statute measure, valued at #190. 12., of which the incumbent holds 58 acres in his own hands, and the remainder is let to tenants. The church, situated in the village of Tynan, two miles from the church of Middleton and one and a half from that of Killyheagh, was built in 1784 and considerably enlarged in 1822, by the addition of a north and south transept and chancel, by which it has been made a commodious cruciform edifice, at an expense of #646, which was a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. arrangements the parish is divided into the Upper and Lower parishes, each having a chapel, one of which is in the village of Tynan, and the other at Ashford near Middleton : the former, erected in 1810 at an expense of #1800, has a very fine altar : the latter, built in 1828 at an expense of #1250, and to which two galleries were added in 1834, at a further expense of #300, has also an altar of very superior workmanship, which cost #100. At bisdooney there is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class ; and there are two for Seceders, one at Middleton of the third class, the other at Drumhillary of the second : they are all neat and commodious buildings. A female school on the glebe was built and is supported by the rector ; a large school-house in the village of Tynan, with a residence for the master and an endowment of an acre of land, established by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charities, affords instruction to 45 boys and 20 girls ; and at Derryhaw is also a male and female school : in all these schools about 240 children are educated. There are also three private schools, in which are about 100 pupils ; and five Sunday schools. A considerable tract of land, comprising 1312 acres, was bequeathed by Dr. Sterne, Bishop of Clogher, for supporting hospitals and schools, and for other charitable purposes ; the management of this charity was vested in trustees by act of parliament in 1772. The remains of an ancient and highly ornamented stone cross, which originally stood in the churchyard, but was thrown down and defaced by Cromwell's soldiers, have been built into the wall of the churchyard for their better preservation.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020