All Lewis entries for Killevy



Killevy

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Armagh


CAMLOUGH

CAMLOUGH, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of UPPER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (W.) from Newry; containing 5822 inhabitants. This was anciently part of the O'Hanlons' country, and at the general plantation of Ulster, 1000 acres, or 12 townlands, with the manor of Maghernahely, were granted to Henry Mac Shane O'Nial for life, and after his death to Sir Toby Caulfield, who built an extensive bawn of stone and lime at Maghernahely, on the site of an ancient church. At Corrinchigo, in this district, Sir John Davis had at the same time a grant of 500 acres; but neglecting to plant or tenant the allotment, it was resumed and granted to Sir Oliver St. John, and is now the property of Viscount Mandeville. amlough was formerly part of the extensive parish of Killevey, which, for ecclesiastical purposes, was divided into two parts in 1773. It is situated on the road from Newry to Newtown-Hamilton, and on a lake called Camlough, or" the Crooked Lough ;" and comprises 10,176 statute acres, of which 2415 are mountain and bog, and 144 lake and water. The greater portion of the land is remarkably good, and in an excellent state of cultivation. Much of the mountain and cannot be brought into cultivation, although in many places there is sufficient depth of soil for the growth of forest trees. Near the village is the lake from which it derives its name, a fine sheet of water comprising 90 acres, a stream issuing from which flows in a northern direction to the Newry water, and gives motion to the machinery of several corn and flour, flax, spinning, and scutch-mills, besides beetling-engines, spade manufactories, and bleach-greens. At Bessbrook are very extensive mills for spinning linen yarn, worked by steam and water, and furnishing employment to 180 persons. Here are also two spade-forges, and two extensive bleach-greens but only the beetling-engines of the last are at present employed. A fair is held on the third Monday in each month; and a constabulary police force has been stationed here. There are several large and handsome houses in the district, the chief of which are Divernagh House, the residence of J. White, Esq., and Bessbrook, of J. Nicholson, Esq.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Precentor of the cathedral church of St. Patrick, Armagh: the curate's income is derived from the tithes of five-townlands, amounting to #146.2. 10. The church is a small edifice, with a tower and low spire, and is one of the numerous churches built by Primate Robinson; it was erected in 1774, but not consecrated till 1785, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted #150. 5. 9. for its repair. The glebe-house is situated at Ballintemple, three miles from the church, on a glebe of 80 statute acres: it was built in 1805, for which the late Board of First Fruits granted #150. In the R. C. divisions this is the head of a union or district, also called Carrickcruppin, comprising Camlough and part of the parish of Killevey, and containing three chapels, two in Camlough, situated respectively at Carrickcruppin and Lisslea, and the third at Killevey. A school at Sturgan, under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, is endowed with #30 per ann., and with two acres of land and a residence for the master. There are a school of 65 children at Maghernahely, and one of 80 at Divernagh; a school at Corrinchigo was built and is supported by Lord Mandeville; and a handsome school-house has been lately built in the village, in connection with the National Board, aided by the noble proprietor, the Earl of Charlemont. In the townland of Aughnacloghmullan there is an extraordinary cairn, 44 yards in length by 22 in breadth: it contains a chamber, 19 yards long, and divided into four compartments, and is formed of upright stones, about seven feet high, surmounted by very large stone slabs, the whole covered with loose stones and earth. The walls of the bawn erected by Sir Toby Caulfield remain almost entire, and exhibit many of the hewn stones of the ancient abbey of Killevey. A little eastward of these walls stands the shaft of an elegant cross, of which the rest lies in a ditch. Some of the mullions of the windows of the abbey are seen in the walls at Divernagh; and an elegant silver medal was found near its site, and is now in the possession of W. W. Algeo, Esq. The Rev. H. Boyd, translator of Dante's "Divina Comedia," was perpetual curate of this parish.


KILLEVEY

KILLEVEY, or KILSLEVE, a parish, partly in the barony of LOWER ORIOR, but chiefly in that of UPPER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (w.) from Newry ; containing, exclusively of Camlough and Meigh, 4259 inhabitants. Including the parishes of Camlough and Meigh (which are described under their own heads) it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 28,174 statute acres, of which 4191 are in Lower, and the remainder in Upper Orior. Of these, about 21,440 are arable amid pasture, 190 water, and 6300 mountain and bog. The mountain called Slieve Gullion separates this parish from Forkhill, and rises to the height of 1893 feet above the level of the sea. The system of agriculture has been much improved recently. Whinstone and grey granite are extensively worked for building, and porphyry is also found. There is a communication with Lough Neagh by the Newry canal, and the river Bann. The principal seats are Drumbanagher Castle, that of Lient.- Col. Maxwell Close, a handsome residence recently erected in the Italian style, from a design by W. H. Playfair, Esq., of Scotch freestone, and situated in an extensive and richly planted demesne ; Killevey Castle, built in the Gothic style, the seat of Powell Foxall, Esq. ; and Ballintemple glebe, of the Rev. A. Cleland. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, constituting the corps of the precentorship of Armagh cathedral, and is in the patronage of the Lord-Primate ; the tithes, including those of the perpetual curacies of Camlough and Meigh, amount to #1417. 12. 10. This parish, prior to 1773, included the district which has since been formed into the parishes of Camlough and Meigh, and had four churches, situated at Cloughinny, Camlough, Meigh, and Drumbanagher. The church at Drumbanagher was used as the parochial church till 1832, when one was built at Cloughinny, by a grant of #2000 from the late Board of First Fruits : it is a spacious cruciform structure, in the later English style. The glebe comprises 1150 statute acres, which is mostly unimprovable mountain land. In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the union or district of Forkhill, but chiefly in that of Camlough, and has a chapel at Lispomanon. There are five public schools, in which about 340 children are educated, two of which are principally supported by Col. and Mrs. Close, and two by Mr. and Mrs. Hall ; and one private school, in which about 120 children are educated. Near Drumbanagher Castle are the remains of a very extensive camp, which was the principal rendezvous of the Earl of Tyrone's army in the reign of Elizabeth ; and near it is Tuscan's Pass, a most important station in early times, connecting the country of the O'Hanlons with that of the Maginnises. On the summit of Slieve Gullion is a very large cairn, which on recent examination was found to be one of the sepulchral monuments of the ancient Irish, and is supposed to have contained the remains of Cualgue, son of Breogan, a Milesian chieftain, who fell in battle on the plain beneath, and from whom the mountain and the surrounding district most probably derived their name. Near the cairn, and also on the summit of Slieve Gullion, is a pool called the Loch, about 60 yards in diameter, which, together with the cairn, forms the subject of a poem ascribed to Ossian, in which "Fionn-Mac-Cumhall," or Fingal, and his heroes make a conspicuous figure ; it is called Laoi-na-Sealga, or "the Chace," and is among the translations of Irish poems by Miss Brooke.


MEIGH

MEIGH, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of UPPER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Newry, on the road from Dublin to Belfast ; containing 7164 inhabitants. This district was formed in 1830, by separating some townlands from the parish of Killevey. Agriculture is improving, and the waste land consists of bog or mountain, which is well adapted for the growth of trees. A great part of the mountain was planted by Jos. Foxall, Esq., who was the first to commence the improvements on Slieve Gullion, which are still being carried on to a great extent by Powell Foxall, Esq., who has formed a road halfway up the mountain on an inclination of one in twenty feet. There are some quarries of a fine description of granite, also one of a hard flagstone, which is used for building ; and from the existence of very strong chalybeate springs it is supposed that iron might be found. There are two corn-mills, and some linen, diaper, frieze, and drugget are manufactured. Petty sessions are held on alternate Mondays. The principal seats are Killevey Castle, the residence of Powell Foxall, Esq. ; Heath Hall, of J. Seaver, Esq. ; Carrick-brede, of A. Johnston, Esq. ; and Hawthorn Hill, of Hunt Walsh Chambre, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Rector of Killevey, who receives the tithes of Meigh, which are included with those of Killevey: the curate's income is #75 per annum, paid by the rector. The church is a neat edifice, built of granite in the castellated style: it has a handsome porch, ornamented with minarets, and the battlements are coped with hewn stone ; it was erected in 1831, at an expense of #1200, of which #900 was a gift from the late Board of First Fruits, and the rest was defrayed by subscriptions of the landed proprietors, In the R. C. divisions this district forms part of the two unions of districts of Meigh and Killevey, and has chapels at Cloghog, Drominter, and Ballinless. There are two schools under the Board of Education, a private school, and a dispensary. At the foot of Slieve Gullion are the extensive ruins of a nunnery, which is said to have been founded by St. Dareria, Or Monenna, sister of St. Patrick, and abbess of Kilsleve, who died in 517 ; her festival is celebrated on the 6th of July. At the dissolution, it and the twelve surrounding townlands were granted to Sir Marmaduke Whitchurch, ancestor of the Seaver, Foxall, and Chambre families, who are now in possession of the lands of the manor of Kilsleve or Killevey. Near it is a cave, or subterraneous passage, communicating with the abbey.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020 Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!