All Lewis entries for Derrynoose



Derrynoose

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Armagh


DERRYNOOSE

DERRYNOOSE, DERRAGHNUSE, or MADDEN, a parish, partly in the barony of TURANY, but chiefly in that of ARMAGH, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2? miles (N. N. W.) from Keady, on the road to Middleton ; containing 8024 inhabitants. This parish was united to Tynan in 1663, and separated from it in 1709, when the first church was built at Madden, from which it is frequently called the parish of Madden. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 15,049 statute acres, of which 9653? are in the barony of Armagh : about 716 are bog, and about 20 water. The land is light, but fertile, and in a high state of cultivation. Leslie Hill, the seat of David Leslie, Esq., is beautifully situated, and the avenue and plantations have been much improved of late years ; there are also several good farm-houses in the parish. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Archbishop : the tithes amount to #646. 10. 6. The glebe-house, which, as well as the church, is at Madden, was erected by the incumbent, the Rev. James Jones, and is large and handsome, and pleasantly situated on a fertile glebe of 460 acres. The church is a very commodious edifice, rebuilt in 1816, by aid of a loan of #1000 from the late Board of First Fruits, and recently repaired by aid of a grant of #157 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also that of Keady, and containing three chapels, two in Keady and one at Derrynoose, near the ruins of the old church ; it was built in 1824, at an expense of #500. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, which was rebuilt in 1834, at a cost of #800. Besides the parochial schools, there are others at Temple and Kilcreevy ; a female school at Fargort, built by Capt. Singleton on two acres of land ; and Derrynoose school, built by Lord Charlemont, and supported by his lordship, Col. Close, and Capt. Singleton ; there are also five private schools. The old church is a picturesque object, situated in an extensive cemetery. Near Madden is a valuable chalybeate spring ; and lead mines exist in the parish, but are not worked at present.


KILLYLEAGH

KILLYLEAGH, a district parish, partly in the barony of TURANEY, and partly in that of ARMAGH, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 5 miles (W.) from Armagh, on the road from that place to Caledon ; containing 3452 inhabitants. It was formed out of the parishes of Armagh, Tynan, and Derrynoose, under the provisions of the act of the 8th of Geo. IV., cap. 43 ; and comprises 5635 statute acres of very fertile arable and pasture land, which is under an excellent system of cultivation. A great part of the parish and the whole of the village belong to Trinity College, Dublin. Here are some excellent quarries of freestone, clay-slate, and limestone, of which the last is extensively worked: coal also exists on the College estate, but is not much used. Linen-weaving is carried on to a considerable extent. The village, which is on the side of a hill near the Ulster Canal, consists of one long street of stone houses: it has a penny post to Armagh and Tynan, and a cattle fair on the last Friday in every month. A court for the manor of Toaghey and Balteagh is held monthly, for the recovery of debts under 40s. The principal seats in the parish are Elm Park, the residence of the Earl of Charlemont, which is in a beautifully planted demesne ; Knappagh, of 3. Johnston, Esq. ; Woodpark, of A. St. George, Esq. ; Fellows-hall, of T. K. Armstrong, Esq. ; and Dartan, of Maxwell Cross, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the alternate patronage of the rectors of Armagh, Derrynoose, and Tynan, each of whom contributes to the perpetual curate's stipend. The church, which was erected by subscription in 1832, is a handsome building, with a lofty square tower, on an eminence. About 210 children are educated in the parochial and another public school, the latter of which is aided by an annual donation from - Close, Esq. ; and about 140 in two private schools.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020