All Lewis entries for Ballymore



Ballymore

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Armagh


ACTON

ACTON, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Tanderagee, on the old road from Newry to that place; containing 3843 inhabitants, of which number, 257 are in the village. The village was originally founded by Sir Toby Pointz, who, for his military services, obtained a grant of 500 acres of land, part of the forfeited estates of the O'Hanlons, and erected a bawn 100 feet square, a house of brick and lime for his own residence, and 24 cottages for so many English settlers, and called the place Acton, after his own native village in England. It consists of one main street, and at present contains about 50 houses indifferently built. Under the authority of an order of council, in 1789, nineteen townlands were severed from the parish of Ballymore, and erected into the parish of Acton, which comprises 4395 statute acres, and is intersected by the Newry canal. The improved system of agriculture has been extensively introduced, the lands are well drained and fenced, and the bogs have been all drained and brought into cultivation by the proprietor, Col. Close. The weaving of linen cloth, diapers, checks, and calicoes is extensively carried on by the small farmers and cottiers in the parish. The principal gentlemen's seats are Acton House, the residence of R. Conway Dobbs, Esq.; and Drominargoole, of D. Lucas, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Ballymore in the cathedral church of St. Patrick, Armagh: the income arises from a fixed stipend of #50 per annum, payable by the rector or prebendary of Ballymore, and an augmentation of #25 per annum from Primate Boulter's fund. The church, erected at Pointz Pass in 1789, is a neat edifice, in the early English style. The glebe-house, situated about half a mile from the church, is a handsome residence; and the glebe comprises 21 acres of good land. In the R. C. divisions this parish is in the union or district of Ballymore: the chapel is a small building, situated at Pointz Pass. There are two places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod, situated respectively at Tanniokee and Carrickbrack, or Tyrone's Ditches, the latter of the first class. There are four schools, of which two are aided by annual donations from Col. Close and the Rev. Mr. Darby, and in which are about 220 boys and 160 girls; also a private pay school of about 30 boys and 30 girls. The remains of a church built by Sir Toby Pointz, in 1684, under the chancel of which he lies interred, are situated in the midst of a wood, and have a very interesting appearance; a tablet is still preserved, with an inscription to his memory.


BALLYMORE

BALLYMORE, or TANDERAGEE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER: containing, with the town of Tanderagee, the village of Clare, and the greater part of the village of Poyntz-Pass (all which are separately described) 7963 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Newry to Portadown, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 14, 158? statute acres, of which 13,958 are applotted under the tithe act and valued at #10,052 per annum: about 100 acres are under plantation, 300 are bog, and 60 waste and water; the remainder is all arable land, remarkably good and in a high state of cultivation, producing abundant crops. There are veins of potters' clay and fullers' earth, both of excellent quality and lying near the surface close to the town ; but neither have been worked. Several quarries in the parish yield excellent building stone; that at Tullyhue is now being worked for building the splendid castle of Tanderagee, and produces stone of very superior quality. This castle, which is now being rebuilt by its proprietor Viscount Mandeville, is situated near the town, and forms a conspicuous and highly interesting feature in the view. The other seats are Dromenargoole house, that of Davis Lucas, Esq.; Acton House, of Conway R. Dobbs, Esq.; Harrybrook, of R. Harden, Esq.; Cooley Hill, of R. hardy, Esq.; Orange Hill, of J. Creery, Esq.; and Derryallen, of J. Behan. Esq.. Fairs are held in the town on July 5th and Nov. 5th, and on the first Wednesday in every month ; and at Clare on May 12th, for horses, cattle, and sheep. Courts leet and baron are also held, the former twice in the year, and the latter on the third Thursday in every month, for the recovery of debts under 40s. Petty sessions are held in the town every Tuesday. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and the corps of the prebend of Ballymore in the cathedral church of St. Patrick, Armagh, in the patronage of the Lord-Primate the tithes amount to #1000. The church is a spacious and handsome structure, in the early English style, with an embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and was erected in 1812, at an expense of #2200, of which #1500 was a loan from the late Board of First Fruits, and #700 a gift from Lady Mandeville; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted #144 for its repair. The glebe-house is a handsome residence, and the glebe comprises 520 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called Tanderagee, which comprises also the parishes of Acton and Mullaghbrack, and contains three chapels, one in each parish; that of Ballymore is situated at Poyntz Pass. There are meeting-houses at Tanderagee and Clare for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, the former of the third and the latter of the first class; another at Clare in connection with the Seceding Synod, and of the first class ; and places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial school is supported by the rector, the Dean of Tuam; five schools are supported by Lord Mandeville, two are aided by annual donations from Lord Gosford and the Rev. Mr. Bell, and there are three others, altogether affording instruction to about 580 boys and 440 girls; there are also three pay schools, in which are about 80 boys and 180 girls, and four Sunday schools. The interest of a bequest of #100 by some member of the Montagu family is divided in equal shares among the poor of the parishes of Ballymore and Seagoe. There are some very slight remains of the ancient church, where are two extensive cemeteries nearly adjoining each other, one exclusively for Protestants, and the other for Roman Catholics ; in the latter is interred the noted Redmond O'Hanlon, the Irish rapparee. Near Ballynaback are two chalybeate springs, which have been found efficacious in scorbutic diseases.-See TANDERAGEE and CLARE.


CLARE

CLARE, an ancient village, in the parish of BALLYMORE, barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (W. S. W.) from Tanderagee ; the population is returned with the parish. It originally formed part of the extensive possessions of the O'Nials ; after the attainder of Hugh, Earl of Tyrone, it was granted by Jas. I. to Michael Harrison, from whom it passed to Henry Boucher, Esq., who, in 1619, erected a bawn of stone and lime, 100 feet long by 80 wide, and subsequently built a large stone edifice, which was the origin of Clare castle, and located many English and Scottish families here. These settlers soon afterwards erected a meeting-house, which was destroyed, together with the whole village, in the war of 1641. A patent for a w'eekly market on Tuesday, and a fair on the 12th of May and two following days, was obtained in the rei bn of Jas. I. The market has not been held for many years, but tlie fair still exists, and is well supplied with horses, cattle, and pigs. The village is situated on the river Cusher, over which is an ancient stone bridge ; and on the river are very extensive flour, meal, and flax-mills. Several important privileges were formerly exercised as belonging to the manor, but the estate having been sold by the Earl of Sandwich, in 1807, no manorial court has since been held. In the village is a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, occupying the site of that destroyed in 1641 ; and near it is one in connection with the Seceding Synod. There are also male and female schools. In the vicinity are the ruins of Clare castle, standing on an eminence which commands extensive prospects over one of the best cultivated districts in the North of Ireland : the castle is the property of Robt. Harden, Esq., of Harrybrook, who intends to rebuild it in the ancient style.-See BALLYMORE.


POYNTZ-PASS

POYNTZ-PASS, or FENWICK'S PASS, a small town, partly in the parish of AGHADERG, barony of UPPER IVEAGH, county of DOWN, but chiefly in the parish of BALLYMORE, barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2? miles (S. W.) from Loughbrickland, to which it has a penny post ; containing 660 inhabitants, of which number, 88 are in the county of Down. This place was formerly an encumbered pass through bogs and woods, from the county of Down into that of Armagh, and from the O'Haulons' to the Magennises' country: it derives its present name from this important military position having been forced, after a desperate action, by Lieut. Poyntz, of the English army, with a few troops, against a numerous body of Tyrone's soldiers, for which service he was rewarded with a grant of 500 acres in this barony: there are some remains of the castle which formerly commanded the pass. At Drumbanagher are vestiges of the intrenchment surrounding the principal strong hold of the Earl of Tyrone, during his wars with Queen Elizabeth, called Tyrone's Ditches. Poyntz-Pass is now one of the most fertile and beautiful spots in this part of the country. To the south is Drumbanagher Castle, the handsome residence of Lieut.-Col. Maxwell Close, built in the Italian style,, with a large portico in front ; on an eminence above the town is Acton House, the elegant residence of C. R. Dobbs, Esq. ; not far from which is Union Lodge, that of W. Fivey, Esq., in a beautiful demesne, bounded by the extensive waters of Lough Shark. That portion of the town which is in the county of Armagh was built about 1790, by Mr. Stewart, then proprietor, who procured for it a grant of a market and fairs ; the former was never established, but the latter, held on the first Saturday in every month, are large and well attended, great numbers of cattle and sheep being sold. The town comprises 116 houses in one principal street, intersected by a shorter one. It contains the church for the district of Acton, a small neat edifice in the early English style, with a tower at the east front, built in 1789, and considerably enlarged and improved in 1829; a R. C. chapel, a school, and a constabulary police station,


TANDERAGEE

TANDERAGEE, or TAWNATELEE, a market and post-town, in the parish of BALLYMORE, barony of LOWER ORIOR, county of ARMAGH, and province of ULSTER, 4? miles (N. W.) from Loughbrickland ; containing 1559 inhabitants. This town appears to owe its origin to the erection of a baronial castle here by the 0' Hanlons, proprietors of the surrounding territory, on whose participation in the Earl of Tyrone's rebellion, in the reign of Elizabeth, the estates became forfeited to the crown, and were on the plantation of Ulster granted by Jas. I., in the 8th year of his reign, to Sir Oliver St. John, who rebuilt the castle and laid the foundation of the present town, which he peopled with English inhabitants. Sir Oliver, in 1622, also built the church, which afterwards became the parish church of Ballymore ; and it appears to have been the intention of the King to make the town a free borough and to incorporate the inhabitants ; but this design was never carried into effect ; the only privileges they received were those of a market, fairs, and courts leet and baron. The town is beautifully situated in a richly cultivated part of the country, on the confines of the county of Down ; within a mile of the Newry canal, which opens a communication between that town and Belfast ; and on the estate of Lord Mandeville. It consists of two principal and three smaller streets, and in 1831 contained 253 houses, most of which are handsome and well built ; its general appearance is prepossessing, and as seen from a distance, ascending from a beautiful vale, through which the river Cusher winds between its lofty and richly wooded banks at one extremity, the demesne of Tanderagee crowning the hill at the other, forms a strikingly picturesque feature in the landscape. Several coaches pass and repass through it to and from Bristol, The linen manufacture is carried on extensively in all its various branches : there are two large establishments in the town, and one at Derryallen, in all which linens, sheetings, damasks, diapers, drills, and other articles are manufactured in large quantities. There are also several extensive flax-mills, and in the various departments of the linen trade carried on here and in the immediate neighbourhood, more than 6000 persons are employed. The manufacture of damask was first introduced here in 1805, by Mr. J. Davis, who is now the only manufacturer of that article in the county. On the river Cusher, near the town, is a very extensive flour and meal-mill, the property of John Creery, Esq., in which more than 2000 tons of wheat and 1000 tons of oats are annually ground. This river and the Newry navigation join the Bann at about two miles distance from the town, affording facilities of conveyance and a supply of coal from Newry. The market is on Wednesday, and is largely supplied with flax, the weekly sale of which has amounted to #7000 ; besides linen, butter, and pork, averaging nearly #3000 weekly ; much pork is bought in this market for Belfast. Fairs are held on the first Wednesday in every month, and also by charter on the 5th of July and Nov. A consta-bulary police force is stationed in the town ; courts leet are held twice in the year, and courts baron, at which debts under 40s. are recoverable, every third Thursday ; petty sessions for the division are held once a fortnight. Adjoining the town is Tanderagee Castle, the splendid seat of Viscount Mandeville, erected on the site of the ancient castle of O'Hanlon, which, after it was rebuilt by Sir Oliver St. John, was surprised and completely destroyed by the O'Hanlons in the war of 1641 : the present structure, which is still in progress, is spacious and of elegant design, and is situated in an ample demesne, richly embellished and pleasingly diversified with bold eminences clothed with stately timber, In the imme-diate neighbourhood is also the glebe-house, the elegant residence of the rector, the very Rev. Thos. Carter, Dean of Tuam, situated on a hill overlooking the town.

The church, originally built by Sir Oliver St. John, was nearly demolished during the war of 1641, and rebuilt in 1684 ; having fallen into decay it was taken down in 1812, and the present handsome structure built upon its site. In removing the materials of the old church, the skull of its founder, who was shot by an assassin on his return to the castle, was discovered, perforated by a bullet. A very extensive and important charitable establishment has been founded on the moral agency system by Lord and Lady Mandeville, upon the estate of Tanderagee, the benefits of which are open to the whole of their numerous tenantry, in the improve-ment of whose moral, intellectual, and social condition, it has, though comparatively in its infancy, already produced the most beneficial effects. The establishment includes a loan fund, a clothing fund, three dispensaries, an orphan asylum, a circulating library, and 25 public schools, to each of which is attached a lending library. The loan and clothing funds are conducted by the moral agent resident at the castle ; the dispensaries are in the towns of Tanderagee, Portadown, and Tullahappy, and are open one day in every week, under the care of a physician, who devotes the whole of his time in dispensing medicines and in visiting the poor tenants at their own dwellings. The orphan asylum, at Tanderagee, is open to the female orphans of the Protestant tenantry, who are boarded, clothed, and educated for service in respectable families. The schools, for which spacious and handsome buildings, with houses for the master and mistress, have been erected, are scattered over the whole estate ; those in this parish are at Tanderagee, Corvernagh, Cargans, and Ballymore, in which are about 260 children and 100 infants. There are also schools at Portadown and Mullantine, in the parish of Drumcree, and also in the parishes of Seagoe, Kilmore, and Killevy ; to each is attached a Sunday school, and the aggregate number of children in all the schools exceeds 2000. An annual festival takes place at the castle, where all the children assemble and are hospitably entertained by Lord and Lady Mandeville ; on the last occasion more than 2000 children attended. To the south-east of the town is the pass of Scarva from the county of Down into that of Armagh, which was formerly defended by the strong and ancient castle of Glan Flusk, erected by Col. Monck, afterwards Duke of Albemarle, and of which there are considerable portions remaining.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020