All Lewis entries for Layd



Layd

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Antrim


CUSHENDALL

CUSHENDALL,or NEWTOWN-GLENNS, a post-town, in the parish of LAYDE, barony of LOWER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 10 miles (N. w.) from Glenarm, and 116 miles (N.) from Dublin ; containing 481 inhabitants. This place is beautifully situated within a quarter of a mile from the sea, on the Glenagan stream, which falls into Cushendall bay immediately below the town ; it is also intersected by the river Dall, over which a handsome stone bridge has been erected. The surrounding country is strikingly romantic ; and the coast, independently of the picturesque scenery it affords, is highly interesting to the geologist, from the diversity of its strata and the numerous caverns with which it abounds. The town, which is neatly built, contains about 90 houses, and is much frequented by persons visiting the Giants' Causeway, to which the new military road along the coast passes through it, and a handsome and commodious hotel has been built for their accommodation. The parish church of Layde, a small neat edifice at the western end of the town, was built in 1832, by a gift of #900 from the late Board of First Fruits. Cushendall bay affords good anchorage for vessels in from 3 to 9 fathoms of water. Fairs, chiefly for Raghery ponies, cattle, sheep, and provisions, are held on Feb. 14th, March 17th, May 14th, Aug. 15th, Sept. 29th, Nov. 14th, and Dec. 22nd. The market-house is a convenient building. A constabulary police station has been established here ; also a coast-guard station, which is one of the eight constituting the district of Ballycastle. Petty sessions are held every alternate week ; and there is a house of correction in the town. On a mount in it is a castle, which is attributed to the Danes.

-See LAYDE.


LAYDE

LAYDE, a parish, in the barony of LOWER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER ; containing, with the post-town of Cushendall (which is separately described), 4056 inhabitants. This parish, called also Cushendall, from its post-town, and Newtown Glens, from its situation in the centre of the Glyns, was the residence of the Mac Auleys of the Glyns, who joined the standard of Mac Donnel at the celebrated battle of Aura, in 1569, after which the combined armies spent some days in festivity on the mountain of Trostan, on which they raised a cairn, still called "Coslin Sorley Boy." According to the Ordnance survey it comprises, exclusively of the Granges of Layde and Innispollan, 20,476? statute acres, one-third of which is arable, and the remainder chiefly in pasture ; the surface is undulating and in some parts mountainous ; in the low grounds are some good meadow lands, the valleys are well cultivated, and the mountainous districts afford tolerable pasturage. Here are quarries of coarse freestone and of white limestone, which is burnt for manure. Salmon and many other kinds of fish are found in the rivers, and on the coast of this parish, which is skirted by the coast road from Belfast to the Giants' Causeway, and is intersected by the royal military road. On the former road is a splendid viaduct over the river Glendon, which connects this parish with Culfeightrin and the barony of Glenarm with that of Carey. Mount Edward is the residence of Gen. Cuppage ; and Glenyule, of the Rev. W. McAuley. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Connor, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the tithes amount to #235. 7. 7?. ; the glebe comprises 4 acres. A church was built about a mile from Cushendall in 1800, but having gone to ruin, another was built in the town in 1832. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called Cushendall, including this parish and Ardclinis, and containing chapels at Cushendall and Redbay. The parochial school is partly supported by the rector ; and F. Turnley, Esq., has built a good school-house for a national school. In these and three other public schools about 340 children are educated, and about 45 are taught in a private school ; there are also four Sunday schools, and a dispensary. The ancient church is in ruins, but the cemetery is still used. The poet Ossian is said to have been born here.


REDBAY

REDBAY, a hamlet, in the parish of LAYDE, barony of LOWER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 1? mile (S.) from Cushendall : the population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the eastern coast, and on the new coast road from Glenarm to the Giants' Causeway ; the shore is bold, and above the bay are some lofty cliffs of romantic appearance, on one of which are the interesting remains of Redbay castle, said to have been erected in the reign of Elizabeth. Underneath this castle is a spacious and singular cavern, of which the sides and the roof are formed of rounded silicious stones imbedded in a matrix of sandstone, commonly called pudding-stone, and differing entirely from those of the rocks in the vicinity ; the opening is towards the sea, and through the arch which forms the entrance is a fine view of the sea, especially at high water, when it is agitated. In the vicinity is a small R. C. chapel belonging to the union or district of Cushendall.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020