All Lewis entries for Doagh Grange



Doagh Grange

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Antrim

DOAGH

DOAGH, a grange and village, in the barony of UPPER ANTRIM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 1- mile (S. W.) from Ballyclare ; the population of the grange is returned with the parish of Ballyeaston ; the village contains 49 houses and 195 inhabitants. This place comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 2304- statute acres, of which 9- are under water, 48 woodland, 140 bog and marsh, and the remainder good arable land. The village is pleasantly situated near the Six-mile-water, and adjoining it is Fisherwick Lodge, a hunting seat belonging to the Marquess of Donegal, a very handsome house surrounded with thriving plantations, which add much to the beauty of the place. The tithes amount to £191. 3. 7-., of which £127. 7. 1. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021