All Lewis entries for Camlin



Camlin

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Antrim

CAMLIN

CAMLIN, or CRUMLIN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER MASSAREENE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Crumlin, 1274 inhabitants. This parish is situated on tough Neagh, by which it is bounded on the west, and on the road from Antrim to Lurgan; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 6417- statute acres, of which 5455 are applotted under the tithe act, and 708- form part of the lake. About three-fourths of the parish arc good arable land, and the remainder is pasture. The system of agriculture is greatly improved, and the whole of the parish is in an excellent state of cultivation, and is well fenced, drained, and planted: wheat, which was scarcely raised in the district, has, since the establishment of large flour-mills at Crumlin, been extensively cultivated, and now forms the principal feature in its agriculture. Limestone is extensively quarried for agricultural and other purposes. The principal seats are Thistleborough, that of James Whittle, Esq.; Gobrana, of J. Whitla, Esq.; and Cherry Valley, of C. W. Armstrong , Esq. Independently of agricultural pursuits, several hundreds of the population are employed in weaving linens and cottons for the manufacturers of Belfast and its neighbourhood; here are also a flax and a flour-mill. Fairs are held monthly for cattle and pigs, and of late very valuable horses have been sold. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, and is part of the union of Glenavy, the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Hertford. The tithes amount to £195, of which £43. 5. is payable to the impropriator, and £151. 15. to the incumbent. The church is a fine ruin; it was destroyed by the army of Jas. II., who had its dep&£244;t here in 1689: in the north and south walls are series of sepulchral arches continued the entire length of the building, and nearly in a perfect state. In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Glenavy. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Remonstrant Synod, of the second class. The parochial school is supported by the vicar; and a school is supported by the Hon. Col. Pakenham, who erected for it a large and handsome school-house, and occasionally provides clothing for the scholars. In these schools are about 90 boys and 60 girls; and there are also three pay schools, in which are about 60 boys and 50 girls, and three Sunday schools. Dr. William Crawford, author of "Remarks on Chesterfield's Letters," " History of Ireland," and other works; and Adam Crawford, Esq., M.D., author of an "Experimental Essay on Animal Heat," and compiler of the transactions of the Royal Society, were natives of Crumlin, which see.

CRUMLIN

CRUMLIN, a post-town, in the parish of CAMLIN, barony of UPPER MASSAREENE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 5? miles (S.) from Antrim, and 79 (N.) from Dublin ; containing 128 houses and 641 inhabitants. This town is situated on the river Camlin, of which its name is a corruption, and on the road from Lurgan to Antrim ; it consists of one long wide street, from which branches one of smaller dimensions leading to the Antrim road, and has a neat and cheerful appearance. At one extremity is the beautiful cottage and highly embellished grounds of Glendarragh, the seat of Col. Heyland, through which flows the river Camlin, noted for the petrifying quality of its waters : among the many fine specimens of petrified substances which it has afforded is the entire root of a tree, of five cubic feet. Adjoining the town are the most extensive and complete flour-mills in the country ; they were originally built in 1765, by Rowley Heyland, Esq., and were the first that were erected in the north of Ireland. These mills were considered of so much importance that Government erected very extensive warehouses for storing wheat and other grain, and encouraged by every means the growth of wheat in the surrounding district. There are several other mills belonging to the same concern, but as all purchases and sales are made at this place, they all come under the denomination of the Crumlin mills. They are now the property of Messrs. Robert Macaulay and Son ; the machinery, which is of very superior construction, is impelled by the water of the Camlin river, and the quantity of grain annually consumed is on the average 3000 tons of wheat and the same quantity of oats. A large portion of the flour is shipped for the Clyde, and the several ports of the north of England ; and during the year 1838, 2000 tons of flour and oatmeal were sent from this establishment to Liverpool and Manchester alone. A flax-mill has been erected by the Messrs. Macaulay, and several hundred persons in the town and neighbourhood are constantly employed in weaving linens and cottons for the manufacturers of Belfast and other places. From its situation on Lough Neagh, this place derives every possible facility of communication by water with Belfast, Newry, Antrim, and other towns. Fairs are held on the first Monday in every month, for horses, cattle, and pigs ; and a constabulary police force is stationed in the town. Petty sessions are held once a fortnight. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster.-See CAMLIN.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021