All Lewis entries for Newton Crommelin



Newton Crommelin

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Antrim


NEWTOWN-CROMMELIN

NEWTOWN-CROMMELIN, a parish, in the barony of KILCONWAY, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 6 miles (N.) from Broughshane, on the road to Ballycastle ; containing 727 inhabitants. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 3445? statute acres of land, which is in general of an inferior description, nearly two-thirds consisting of mountain and bog. Here is a station of the constabulary police, and fairs are held on the second Tuesday in every month. The living is a perpetual cure, in the diocese of Connor, and in the gift of the Incumbent of Dunaghy, The tithes amount to #30 ; and the gross income of the curacy, augmented by #66 per annum from Primate Boulter's fund, and including the glebe of eight acres, valued at #8 per annum, is #104, The glebe-house was built in 1831, at an expense of #500, of which #450 was a gift and #50 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits, The church was erected about the same period, by aid of a gift of #800 from the Board. About 270 children are educated in the schools of the parish, of which one for boys is supported by an annual allowance of #26 from the Methodist Missionary Society, and one for girls is aided by a small annual payment from a London Society ; there are also a private school and two Sunday schools.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020 Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!