All Lewis entries for Kilronan (Middlethird)



Kilronan (Middlethird)

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford


KILRONAN

KILRONAN, or BUTLERSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 2? miles (S. S. W.) from Waterford ; containing 112 inhabitants and 519 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Butlerstown castle is stated to have been captured by Cromwell's forces, in retiring from the siege of Waterford, who partially destroyed it with gunpowder ; it has been repaired and is now the residence of R. Backas, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Waterford, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Killure : the tithes amount to #3b. There is a glebe of 10 acres, adjacent to the site of the old church. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Trinity Without, or Ballybricken, and contains a chapel.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020