HOLLYMOUNT, a post-town, in the parish of KILCOMMON, barony of KILMAINE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 13? miles (S.) from Castlebar, (on the road to Tuam), and 111? (W. by N.) from Dublin : the population is included in the return for the parish. The entrance to the town is very pretty, being adorned with the handsome parish church and the beautiful grounds round Hollymount House, the residence of T. Spencer Lindsey, Esq.; and there are several other gentlemen's seats in its vicinity, which are described in the article on the parish. Fairs are held on May 16th and Dec. 11th; and there is a good hotel, a dispensary, and a school-house built at the expense of Mr. Lindsey, who supports the school. It is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held on alternate Saturdays.
KILCOMMON, a parish, in the barony of KILMAINE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT ; containing, with the post-town of Hollymount, 6507 inhabitants. It comprises 6339 statute acres, of which about 400 are woodland and 500 bog. Agriculture is improving ; and near Hollymount is a model agricultural school, established by the Mansion-House Relief Committee of 1822. The building and stock cost #3000, but the school, which was built on an acre of land given by Mr. Lindsey, has veryfew pupils. Limestone is found here. The surrounding country is agreeably diversified, and is adorned with numerous well-planted demesnes. The principal seats in the parish are Hollymount House, the residence of T. S. Lindsey, Esq. ; Close-cormack House, of J. K. Gildea, Esq. ; Bushfleld, of Annesley Knox,Esq. ; Purranes,of A. Bell,Esq. ; Ballyheragh St. Leger, of B. St. Leger, Esq. ; Balaheragh Lodge, of M. Lindsey, Esq. ; Greham, of R. Bowen, Esq. ; Annefield, of A . E. Bowen, Esq. ; Mount Jenings, of B. Jenings, Esq. ; Bloomfield, of the Rev. F. Ruttledge ; Clooney Castle, of J. Gildea, Esq.; Carraville, of R. Fair, Esq.; and Fortville, of T. Fair, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, united by act of parliament, in 1703, to the rectories and vicarages of Robeen and Taghkeen, forming the union of Kilcommon, in the patronage of the Archbishop : the tithes amount to #339. 13. 10?., and of the entire union to #651. 0. 1?. The old church, which was in Hollymount, was a chapel of ease, built in 1688 by Archbishop Vesey, who was buried in it, and was made the parish church on the church of Kilcommon becoming ruinous. The present church, which is also in Hollymount, was built in 1816, the late Board of First Fruits having granted a loan of #1000 ; it is a handsome building, with a castiron spire, and is fitted up with English oak. The family vault of Lord Clanmorris, and monuments of the Lindsey and Ruttledge families are in the churchyard. For the erection of the glebe-house, the Board, in 1819, gave #100 and lent #1200 : the glebe comprises 8 a. 3 r. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising Kilcommon and Robeen, and has two chapels in the former parish ; that at Carra, built in 1830 at an expense of #1200, is a handsome building, with galleries ; that at Roundfort has a tall square tower. About 200 children are educated in five public schools, two of which were built and are supported by Mr. Lindsey, and about 250 in three private schools. Here are the remains of some ancient forts ; and elks' horns, coins of Queen Elizabeth's reign, and military weapons have been discovered at different times.-See HOLLYMOUNT.