All Lewis entries for Ballingarry (Coshlea)

Ballingarry (Coshlea)

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Limerick


BALLINGARRY, a parish, in the barony of Coshlea, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Kilfinnan, on the road to Galbally; containing 2497 inhabitants. The land is generally good, and some recent improvements in tillage have been introduced by Mr. Gabbet, who has an excellent farm managed upon the most approved principles of modern agriculture. The surface is varied, and there are some hills of considerable elevation, of which the Black mountain and Slieve-Reagh are the principal, stretching westward towards Kilfinnan, and every where affording excellent pasture for numerous herds of young cattle and flocks of sheep. Near Grierston, on the border of the parish, is a very extensive and valuable bog; in the midst of it rises a copious stream flowing southward towards Mitchelstown, and also another flowing northward and forming part of the Daun. Fairs are held at Ballinvreena, also on the border of the parish, on April 21st, June 21st, Aug. 31st, and Nov. 19th, for horses, cattle, and pigs. There are several large and handsome houses, the principal of which are Annagurra, the residence of Thos. T. Adams, Esq., and Grierston, the fine old family mansion of the Masseys. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Emly, and forms part of the union and corps of the prebend of Killenellick in the cathedral church of Emly: the tithes amount to £250. The church is a ruin situated on a gentle elevation, and forming a conspicuous object. The glebe comprises six plantation acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a large modern edifice in the village of Glenbrohane. There are two pay schools, in which are about 160 children.


GLENBROHANE, a village; in the parish of BALLINGARY, barony of COSTLEA, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (E.) from Kilfinane, on the road to Galbally ; containing 44 houses and 233 inhabitants. Here is the R. C. chapel for the district, which was built in 1819, at an expense of £600 ; also a constabulary police station.

Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021