All Lewis entries for Tomfinlough



Tomfinlough

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

ARDSALLIS

ARDSALLIS, a village, in the parish of TOMFINLOUGH, barony of BUNRATTY, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 5? miles (N. W.) from Six-mile-bridge, on the road from Newmarket-on-Fergus to Quin: the population is returned with the parish. Nearly adjoining it is a good race-course, which was formerly much frequented, but the races have been for many years discontinued. Fairs are held on the 12th of May and the 12th of August, chiefly for cattle, and were formerly well attended.

NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS

NEWMARKET-ON-FERGUS, a post-town, in the parish of TOMFINLOE, barony of BUNRATTY, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Ennis, on the mail road to Limerick, and 105? (W. S. W.) from Dublin ; containing 1118 inhabitants. It is situated about a mile and a half from the eastern shore of the river Fergus, and in 1831 contained 170 houses, several of which are neatly built. A market was formerly held here on Thursday, but from its proximity to Ennis and Limerick, to which places there are several daily public conveyances, it gradually declined and is now discontinued ; and of the fairs, held on March 31st, Aug. 27th, and Dec. 20th, the last only is now well attended : a " patron" is held on Easter-Monday. Here is a chief station of the constabulary police ; petty sessions are held on alternate Thursdays, and a court for Lord Egremont's manor of Bunratty is occasionally held by the seneschal, for the recovery of small debts. A considerable number of females are employed in satin-stitching on muslin by Wm. Lloyd, Esq., of Limerick : and a school for embroidery is patronized by Lady O'Brien. An unsuccessful attempt was some time since made by Sir Edw. O'Brien to establish the linen manufacture in this town. Newmarket gives name to the R. C. union or district, held by the administrator of the Bishop of Killaloe, and comprising the parishes of Tomfinloe, Kilnasoolagh, Kilmaleery, Clonloghan, Kilconry, Bunratty, and Dromline, The principal chapel, a spacious and substantial building, is in the town ; and there are chapels for the rural district at Kilmaleery and Bunratty. A large national school-house is now being erected at the expense of Sir Edward O'Brien, by whom also it will be chiefly supported ; and a female school of industry is supported by a society of ladies : there is also a dispensary. Newmarket House, the spacious mansion of C. Studdert, Esq., is in the town ; and in its vicinity are several handsome seats, among which are Dromoland, the superb castellated edifice of Sir Edward O'Brien, Bart. ; Carri goran, the beautifully situated mansion of Sir Wm. Fitzgerald, Bart. ; Glenwood, the residence of Basil Davoren, Esq. ; Ballykilty, of Fitzgerald Blood, Esq. ; and Mogullane, of F. Healy, Esq.-See TOMFINLOE.

TOMFINLOE

TOMFINLOE, or TOMFINLOGH, a parish, in the barony of BUNRATTY, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (N. W.) from Six-mile-bridge, on the road to Ennis ; containing, with the town of Newmarket-on-Fergus, 4053 inhabitants. It comprises 3424 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the land is in general rich, and chiefly in pasture ; there is, however, some craggy land and bog: the state of agriculture has been much improved, chiefly owing to the example and exertions of Sir Edward O'Brien of Dromoland, Bart. Fairs and petty sessions are held at Newmarket, which see. Besides the seats noticed under the head of Newmarket, the following are also situated in this vicinity: Ballycar, the residence of Major John Colpoys ; Shepperton, of Jno. Gabbutt, Esq. ; Ralahine, of J. S. Vandeleur, Esq. ; Caherbane, of Jas. Creagh, Esq. ; Carrigeary, of Major Creagh ; and Finloe, or Finlough, of H. P. Hickman, Esq., situated on the lake of that name. The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe ; part of the rectory was episcopally united, in 1802, to those of Kilnasoolagh, Kilconry, Kilmaleery, Clonloghan, Dromline, Finogh, and Bunratty, together constituting the rectorial union of Tradree or Traddery, also called the union of Tomfinlogh, and in the patronage of the Earl of Egremont ; the remainder of the rectory is appropriate to the bishop's mensal: the vicarage forms part of the union of Kilfinaghty, The tithes amount to £142. 14. 7., of which £61. 16. 0-. is payable to the rector, £30. 18. 6-. to the vicar, and the remain-der to the bishop ; the gross tithes of the rectorial benefice amount to £678. 14. 6-. Adjoining the ruins of the old church is a glebe of 231 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Newmarket: the chapel, a spacious building, is situated in the town. About 400 children are educated in the public and private schools of the parish, of which that at Ballycar is under the patronage of Major Colpoys, aided by a grant from the Baptist society. At Newmarket is an embroidery school, under the patronage of Lady O'Brien, also a school supported by Mrs. Studder, and a society of ladies. A large school-house has been lately built in the town by Sir Edw. O'Brien, by whom the school, which will be placed under the National Board of Education, will be supported. The old castle of Ralahine still exists ; and on Mohawn Hill is an ancient fort or rath of considerable dimensions.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021