All Lewis entries for Kilseily


More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare


BROADFORD, a post-town, in the parish of KILSEILY, barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (N.) from Limerick, and 94 miles (S./W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 71 houses and 383 inhabitants. It is picturesquely situated on the road from Killaloe to Ennis, at the foot of a range of hills extending to Lough Derg on the Shannon, and has a post-office dependant on that of Limerick; a constabulary police-force is stationed here and fairs are held on the 21st of June and the 21st of November. The parish church, a neat building with a square spire, is situated in the town; and a large and handsome R.C. chapel is now in the course of erection on an eminence overlooking it. Here are the parochial school, (chiefly supported by the minister) and a public dispensary. This place is much visited by anglers and sportsmen: The neighbourhood affords excellent grouse shooting, and about a mile to the west is Doon lake, remarkable for the size of its pike, and abounding also with bream. In the vicinity are several gentlemen's seats and shooting-lodges, which are more particularly noticed in the article on Kilseily. There are some excellent quarries near the village, producing slate of superior quality.


KILSEILY, a parish, in the barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Killaloe, on the road to Ennis ; containing 4227 inhabitants. It comprises 10,008 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; about 7600 are good arable land under an improving System of tillage, and the remainder mountain pasture and bog. Good building-stone of a gritty quality is found in the parish ; and at Ardskegh, Hurlston, and Lyssane are quarries of slate, the produce of which is extensively used in Limerick and Ennis. The principal seats are Woodfield, that of C. Walker, Esq. ; Hurlston, of J. Bently, Esq. ; and Violet Hill, of J. Goring, Esq. Lake Doon near Broadford, abounds with pike and bream ; and the neighbourhood affords a variety of game. A canal from Broadford to Bunratty, on the Shannon, might be constructed at a moderate expense, the line being nearly level, and mostly through a chain of lakes. Two fairs are held at Broadford, which see ; and a manorial court for the recovery of small debts is also held there. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, the rectory forming part of the union of Omullod, and the vicarage united to the vicarages of Killurane and Kilnoe, constituting the union of Kilseily, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £240, one-half payable to the rector and the other to the vicar ; and the entire tithes of the vicarial benefice to £313. 17. l. The church was built at Broadford by a loan of £795 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1811. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Broadford, comprising also the parish of Killokennedy ; there are three chapels, situated respectively at Broadford, Glanomera, and Kilbane. The parochial school at Broadford is supported by the incumbent, and there are four private schools, in which are about 330 children ; and a dispensary. There are some slight vestiges of Doon castle on the border of the lake ; and near Broadford is a mineral spring, formerly in great repute.

John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham, Eoin Grenham 2022