All Lewis entries for Kilmurry (Bunratty)



Kilmurry (Bunratty)

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

KILMURRYNEGAUL

KILMURRYNEGAUL, a parish, in the barony of TULLA, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 2- miles (N. by W.) from Six-mile-bridge, on the road to Tulla ; containing 628 inhabitants. It comprises 2129 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, mostly under tillage: the state of agriculture has of late been much improved, chiefly through the exertions of T. Studdert, Esq., of Kilkishen, whose residence, a handsome mansion surrounded by a well-wooded and highly improved demesne, is within the limits of this parish, and adjoining the village of Kilkishen, in the parish of Clonlea. It is in the diocese of Killaloe: the rectory forms part of the rectorial union of Ogashin, and the vicarage part of the union of Kilfinaghty. The tithes amount to £78. 9. 2-., of which £41. 10. 9-. is payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Six-mile-bridge, and has a chapel near the village of Kilmurry. The ruins of the old. church still remain in the burial-ground, and within the limits of the parish are the ruined castles of Rossroe, Kilmurry, and Kilkishen ; the last stands in Mr. Studdert's demesne.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021