All Lewis entries for Kilmanaheen



Kilmanaheen

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Clare

ENNISTYMON

ENNISTYMON, a market and post-town, in the parish of KILMANAHEEN, barony of CORCOMROE, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 16? miles (W. by N.) from Ennis, and 128 (W. by S.) from Dublin, on the river Inagh, and on the mail road from Ennis to Miltown-Malbay ; containing 241 houses and 1430 inhabitants. The town, though irregularly built, has a picturesque appearance. A little below the bridge the river, which has its source in the mountains to the south-east, rushes over an extensive ridge of rocks and forms a beautiful cascade, at a short distance from which it joins the river Derry : the latter forms a junction with the river Inagh, and the united streams fall into the Atlantic at Liscanor bay, about 2? miles west of the town. Races are occasionally held at Lahinch, on the bay of Liscanor, for the amusement of visiters during the bathing season. This place had formerly a considerable market for strong knit woollen stockings, which were purchased in large quantities by dealers for supplying Dublin and the north of Ireland ; but since the improvement in the stocking machinery this trade has gradually declined, and is now chiefly confined to the immediate neighbourhood. The market, which is held on Saturday, is well supplied with provisions, and is also a good mart for the sale of corn and pigs ; and fairs are held on March 25th, May 15th, July 2nd, Aug. 22nd, Sept. 29th, Nov. 19th, and Dec. 17th, for general farming stock. Sea-sand for manure is brought up the river, and in the vicinity are raised thin flags, used for roofing and other purposes : a body of manganese appears on the edge of a bog near the river. Coal was found in the neighbourhood several years since, and some of it sent to Galway and Limerick, but from its inferior quality the works were discontinued. Quarter sessions are held here four times in the year ; also petty sessions weekly on Monday. The sessions-house and district bridewell form a neat and commodious building, considered one of the best in the county. A senesehals' court for the manor of Ennistymon is held about once in each month, for the recovery of small debts. Here is a chief constabulary police station. The church, erected in 1830, is a handsome cruciform structure, in the later English style, with an octagonal tower on its south side resting on a square base : it is advantageously situated at the northern entrance of the town ; and on an eminence to the east are the ruins of the old church. The R. C. chapel is a large and substantial building, erected about 12 years since ; the old chapel has been converted into a school. The male and female free schools are support. ed by subscriptions, and by the proceeds of an annual charity sermon at the chapel ; a school is also supported partly by Archdeacon Whitty, and partly by the pupils' fees ; and there is a public dispensary. Immediately adjoining the town is Ennistymon Castle, formerly a seat of the O'Brien family, descendants of the Earls of Thomond, and now the residence of Andrew Finucane, Esq. ; it is boldly situated on the north bank of the river, is surrounded by a richly wooded park, and contains some fine old family pictures. At a short distance is the glebe-house, the residence of the Ven. Archdeacon Whitty, a handsome and substantial mansion of recent erection, situated in a pleasing demesne, which is ornamented by young and thriving plantations. An abbey is said to have formerly existed here, over which St. Luchtighern presided.-See KILMANAHEEN.

KILMANAHEEN

KILMANAHEEN, a parish, in the barony of CORCOMROE, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, on the road from Ennis to Miltown-Malbay ; containing, with the post-town of Ennistymon and the village of Lahinch (both of which are separately described), 5475 inhabitants. It comprises 8545 statute acres, of which a large portion consists of hilly pasture, and from its situation on the bay of Liscanor, the portion under tillage is manured with sea weed and sand, which is here procured in abundance: the state of agriculture is gradually improving. The principal seats are Ennistymon House, the residence of A. Finucane, Esq. ; the glebe-house, of the Ven. Archdeacon Whitty ; Lahenzy, the property of A. Stackpoole, Esq. ; Woodmount, of G. F. Lysaght, Esq. ; and Moy, the occasional residence of Sir W. Fitzgerald, Bart. The living is a rectory and Vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora ; the rectory is united to those of Kilmacrehy and Killaspuglenane, constituting the corps of the archdeaconry ; and their respective vicarages, together with those of Killeilagh and Kilmoon, form the union of Kilmanaheen, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes of this parish amount to £254. 2. 11-., the entire tithes of the archdeaconry to £393. 5. 7., and those of the vicarial union to £295. 1. 11-. The glebe-house is a modern building, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits contributed a loan of £369 and a gift of a similar sum, in 1828 : there is a glebe of 43 acres, subject to a charge of £10 per ann. late currency. The church at Ennistymon, built in 1831, is also a handsome structure, for the erection of which the same Board granted a loan of £1000. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ennistymon, which also comprises the parish of Clouney, and contains the chapels of Ennistymon, Lahinch, and Kilthomas. In the public schools at Ennistymon about 340 children are educated, and there are also in the parish nine private schools. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground.

LAHINCH

LAHINCH, or LAHENZY, a village, in the parish of KILMANAHEEN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (W.) from Ennistymon, on the bay of Liscanor, on the western coast ; containing 195 houses and 1033 inhabitants. This place has of late rapidly improved on account of its fine bathing strand, situated at the inner extremity of the bay, and much resorted to during the season. The roads in the vicinity have been greatly improved, and when the new bridge over the estuary of the river Inagh between this place and Liscanor shall be completed, there will be an uninterrupted drive along the coast from Miltown-Malbay to the cliffs of Moher. The village affords good accommodation for visiters, and races are generally held every season for their amusement. In the vicinity are the natural curiosities called the "Puffing Holes" and the "Dropping Well ;" the former is described under the head of Miltown-Malbay ; the latter is similar to the dropping well at Knaresborough, in Yorkshire: the surrounding scenery is extremely picturesque and diversified. In the village is the R. C. chapel for this portion of the district of Ennistymon, in which a school is held under the superintendence of the parish priest.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021