FERMOYLE, or LETTERCANNON, a village, in the parish of KILLONOGHAN, barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER ; containing 42 houses and 220 inhabitants.
KILLONOGHAN, or KILLONAHON, a parish, in the barony of BURREN, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 13 miles (S. W.) from Burren, on the western coast ; containing 1185 inhabitants. This parish consists principally of rocky mountain pasture, affording scanty but rich herbage ; a detached portion is situated at some distance to the south-east, and another portion is isolated by the parish of Glaninagh. Lead is found in the vicinity of Glenvaan, and it is supposed that a vein extends into the limestone hills of Burren. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kilfenora, forming part of the union of Dromcrehy, or Rathbourney, and the corps of the treasurership of the cathedral of Kilfenora: the tithes amount to £82. 10. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Glynn, or Glenarragha, and has a chapel at Stonehall. About 50 children are educated in a private school. There are some remains of the old church, near which are the ruins of a castle, which consisted of a round tower.