CRUSHEEN, a village, in the parish of INCHICRONANE, barony of BUNRATTY, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, about 6? miles (N. N. E.) from Ennis, on the road to Gort ; containing 57 houses and 316 inhabitants. Fairs are held on the lands of "Brodagh by Crusheen" on Jan. 17th, May 20th, Aug. 15th, and Nov. 19th, for general farming stock. It is a constabulary police station, and has a dispensary. Petty sessions once a fortnight, and the road sessions for the district, are held here ; also a seneschal's court occasionally for the manor of Bunratty, in which small debts are recoverable. The old R. C. chapel stands here, and a new one is now nearly completed : in the ancient burial-ground, Sir Theobald Butler, who framed the articles of the Treaty of Limerick, lies interred.-See INCHICRONANE.
INCHICRONANE, or INIS-CRONAN, a parish, in the barony of BUNRATTY, county of CLARE, and province of MUNSTER, 5- miles (N. E.) from Ennis, on the road to Gort; containing 4603 inhabitants. It is situated near the confines of the county of Galway, and comprises about 14,400 statute acres, of which one-fourth consists of mountain, and there are about 320 acres of bog. Within its limits are the lake and island of the same name, on which latter Donald O'Brien, King of Limerick, about the year 1190, founded an abbey for regular canons of the order of St. Augustine, which, with a portion of the tithes of this parish, was granted in 1620 to Donogh, Earl of Thomond, and, in the following year, again in fee to Henry, Earl of Thomond. The remains, situated at the western extremity of the island, are extremely interesting, and the scenery of the island and lake highly picturesque. The seats are Inchicronane, the beautiful demesne of the Rt. Hon. Lord Fitzgerald and Vesci; Bunnahow, the residence of W. Butler, Esq.; Milbrook, of Austin Butler, Esq.; and Glenwilliam, of J. B. Butler, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Kilneboy: the rectory is impropriate in the Rev. F. Blood and his heirs. The tithes, amounting to £134. 13. 11-., are wholly payable to the incumbent, he being also the impropriator. Divine service is occasionally performed in a private house. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms a separate union or district, and contains the chapels of Crusheen and Meelick: a new chapel is now being erected at the former place. In a school under the superintendence of the R. C. clergyman, and in three other schools, about 410 children are educated. Besides the ruins of the abbey, there are some remains of the old parochial church, and of O'Brien's castle.-See CRUSHEEN.