All Lewis entries for Killahurler



Killahurler

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Wicklow

KILLAHURLER

KILLAHURLER, or KILMAIN, a parish, in the barony of ARKLOW, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 4- miles (W.) from Arklow ; containing 493 inhabitants. It comprises 3859 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act ; and within its limits is the greater part of the district from which gold was obtained at the end of the last century, and which is described in the article on Arklow. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, forming part of the union of Arklow ; the rectory is appropriate to the deanery of Christ-Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £83. 1. 6-., of which £55. 7. 8-. is payable to the dean, and £27. 13. 10-. to the curate. In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Arklow. Here is an old burial-ground.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021