All Lewis entries for Toome



Toome

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford


CAMOLIN

CAMOLIN, a post-town, in the parish of TOMB, Barony of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 20? miles (N.) from Wexford, and 53? (S.) from Dublin; containing 639 inhabitants. This place derives its same from a religious house founded, according to Alban Butler, by St. Molin, second Bishop of Ferns, who died in the 7th century, and of which there are still some remains on the Mountnorris estate. It is situated on the river Bann, on the mail coach road from Gorey to Wexford, and contains 112 houses. Immediately adjoining is Park View, the residence of H. Parke, Esq. A constabulary police force is stationed here; and fairs for cattle and pigs are held on Feb. 9th, April 4th, June 9th (which is the principal fair), Aug. 9th, Sept. 28th, and Nov. 9th. The parish church of Tomb, and the R. C. chapel of the district ofCamolin, are situated in the village; and there is a dispensary -See TOMB.


TOMB

TOMB, a parish, partly in the barony of GOREY, but chiefly in that of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Gorey, on the road to Enniscorthy ; containing, with the post-town of Camolin, 1905 inhabitants. It is situ-ated on the river Bann, and comprises 6322 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Fairs for black cattle and pigs are held at Camolin, which see. The seats are Norrismount, the residence of Robt. Brownrigge, Esq., and Meadop Hall, of T. Smith, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, united by act of council, in 1720, to those of Kilcomb and Rossmanogue, together constituting the corps of the prebend of Tomb, in the cathedral of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to #276, and there is a glebe of 20 acres, also a glebe of 14 acres in Rossmanogue: the gross tithes of the benefice amount to #646. 3. The church, a small plain structure with a low square tower, is situated in the town of Camolin. The ruins of an old church at Ballinclare still exist. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of the union or district called Camolin, belonging to the R. C. bishop of Ferns, and comprising also the parishes of Leskinfere (or Clough), Ballycannew, Rossmanogue, and the greater part of Kilnehue ; the chapels are at Camolin, Craneford, Monaseed, and Balloughter. The parochial school, with apartments for the master, built on an acre of land given by the Earl of Mountnorris, is partly supported by subscription ; about 40 children are educated in this school, and there are three private schools, in which are about 120 children, and a Sunday school.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020 Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!