All Lewis entries for Meelnagh



Meelnagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford

MILLENAGH

MILLENAGH, or MELINA, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 7 miles (E.) from Enniscorthy, and on the coast road from Wexford to Dublin ; containing, with the town of Oulart (which is separately described), 1201 inhabitants. During the disturbances of 1798 this place was the scene of a severe action between a party of the North Cork militia and the insurgents, who had encamped on Oulart Hill. The parish comprises 3983- statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and chiefly in tillage, The principal seat is Island, the residence of Wm. Bolton, Esq. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, annexed, under an act of the 4th of Geo. IV., to that of Kilmuckridge : the rectory is impropriate m Capt. Villars Hatton, R. N., who allows £6 per ann. and a glebe of 28 acres for the performance of the clerical duties. The tithes amount to £212. 9. 11, In the R. C. divisions the greater part of the parish is within the union or district of Oulart, where the chapel is situated, and the remainder is in the district of Blackwater. About 100 children are educated in three private schools.

OULART

OULART, a town, in the parish of MILLENAGH, barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6- miles (E.) from Enniscorthy, on the road from Gorey to Wexford ; containing 161 inhabitants. During the disturbances of 1798, a large body of the insurgents encamped on Oulart hill, on Sunday, the 27th of May ; and on the same morning a detachment of the North Cork Militia, consisting of 110 chosen men, commanded by Lieut.-Col. Foote, marched from Wexford and attacked the insurgents on the south side of the hill, who fled at the first onset, and were pursued at full speed by the militia, but the latter being flushed with their success, neglected to preserve any order in the pursuit. While the insurgents were endeavouring to escape on the north side of the hill, they wereformed that a large body of cavalry from Gorey was advancing to cut off their retreat, and turning round on their pursuers, who had nearly reached the summit of the hill almost breathless and in disorder, charged them with their pikes, and destroyed the whole detachment, with the exception only of the Lieut.-Colonel, one serjeant, and three privates. The town, which in 1831 contained 30 houses, is a chief station of the consta bulary police, and has a penny post to Enniscorthy. Fairs are held on Twelfth day, Shrove-Tuesday, Easter-Monday, Ascension-day, and Michaelmas-day, for cattle, pigs and sheep. Oulart gives name to the R. C. district, comprising the greater part of the parish of Melina, the whole of Kilnemanagh, the greater part of Killesk and Kilcormuck, part of Castle-Ellis, and a small portion of Ballyhuskard : the chapel adjoins the town. A school is about to be established in the house now occupied by the parish priest, a new residence having been recently built for him, In the vicinity of the town, but within the limits of the adjoining parish of Kilnemanagh, is a fever hospital and dispensary, established in 1827 : it is under the care of a physician, who also acts as apothecary, and has a residence rent-free, with a salary of £100 per annum.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021