All Lewis entries for Kilmallock



Kilmallock

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford

KILMALOG

KILMALOG, KILMALLOCK, or KILMALOGUE, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Enniscorthy, on the road to Wexford ; containing 1159 inhabitants. It comprises 3748 statute acres, which are chiefly under cultivation, with the exception of part of a bog called Itty. Blue and white marl are abundant, and building stone is found at Garryvanen. The principal seats are Ballinkeel, the residence of J. Maher, Esq. ; Kilmallock, of Mr. R. Peare, and Willmount, of Mr. J. Goodall. 'The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Castle-Ellis or Kilmalog ; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £202. 12. 1., of which £l20. 15. 5. is payable to the impropriator, and £81. 16. 8. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Crossabeg, and has a new chapel at Ballymurn. There is a private school, in which about 20 children are educated. Some remains of the old church exist in a large burial-ground, which is still used for interment.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021