CHAPEL-CHARON, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. W.) from Wexford : the population is returned with the parish of Killurin into which it has merged. It consists of only two small towalands, and is not recognised as a parish in any civil or modern ecclesiastical divisions. It is situated on the river Slaney, and on the road from Wexford to Enniscorthy, and is presumed to have been, prior to the Reformation, an appendage to Carrigmannon, the ancient seat of the family of Devereux, who had a chapel here. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and is part of the union of Killurin. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Glynn.
KILLURIN, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. E.) from Wexford, on the road from that place to Enniscorthy ; containing, with the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Chapelcharon, 638 inhabitants. It comprises 1738 statute acres, which are tolerably well cultivated. The seats are Killurin House, lately the residence of the Devereux family, now the property of the Earl of Arran ; Healthfield, of E. Beatty, Esq. ; and Penzance, of C. Martin, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, united by act of council, in 1776, to the impropriate curacies of Kilbride-Glynn, Chapelcharon, and Whitechurch-Glynn, and episcopally with the impropriate curacy of Ballyheogue, together forming the union of Killurin, in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £86. 9. 3-., of which £38. 17. is payable to the impropriator. and the remainder to the incumbent. The church, which was built in 1785, is a neat edifice with a tower, and had a handsome painted window, which was destroyed in the disturbances of 1798. Here is a handsome glebe-house, which cost £1200, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £100, in 1816: the glebe comprises 20 acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Glynn, comprising the parishes of Killurin, Kilbride-Glynn, Ardeandridge, and Carrigg, and parts of Coolstuffe, Whitechurch-Glynn, and of the extra-parochial mountain of Forth ; there is a neat chapel at Glynn, contiguous to which is a residence for the priest, given, with five acres of land, by Mr. Devereux ; and there is another chapel at Barntown, in Carrigg. The parochial school, with apartments for the master, was erected in 1829 by the vicar, who gave nearly an acre of land, and subscribes £12 per annum towards its Support: about 80 children are educated in it, and about 100 are taught in a school at Glynn. Here are the ruins of Carrigmanon, the ancient residence of the Devereux family. Cornwall, a small fishing village on the river Slaney, is in this parish.