KILCAVAN, or KILKEVAN, a parish, in the barony of BARGY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 11- miles (S. W.) from Wexford, on the new road to Bannow ; containing 695 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by St. George's channel, and is almost entirely under tillage ; the system of agriculture has been greatly improved within the last few years, and from the convenience of its situation for obtaining sea-manure, the land is generally in a good state of cultivation. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, episcopally united, in 1806, to the vicarage of Bannow, together forming the union of Kilcavan, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £144. 13. 3- ., and of the union, to £297. 4. 7. The church, for the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £190, is a neat edifice with a square tower, erected in ] 820, for which the late Board of First Fruits gave £600 and lent £130. The same Board also gave, in 1821, £400 and lent £330 for the erection of the glebe-house : the glebe, in four portions, comprises 4- acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Bannow, or Ballymitty. At Granstown is a convent of Augustine Friars, representing the ancient house of Cloumines, to which is attached a chapel, open to the public ; this establishment consists only of two brethren, employed in preparing pupils for the college of Maynooth, and in this seminary the late eminent Dr. Doyle received the rudiments of his education. A Sunday school is superintended by the incumbent, and there is a dispensary.
TARA HILL, partly in the parish of KILKEVAN, barony of GOREY, but chiefly in that of KILTENNEL, barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Gorey; containing 471 inhabitants. It is situated near the eastern coast, and, though not of great extent or elevation, forms a conspicuous and useful landmark for mariners, with reference to the Kilgorman sands, and the new harbour of Courtown. The former is a long and narrow sand bank, extending from Kilmichael Point in a southern direction for about four miles ; its southern extremity being nearly opposite the entrance to Courtown Harbour. About midway between the sand bank and the shore at the foot of Tara Hill is a smaller bank, called the Saleen patch ; and a little to the north of this is an oyster bed. Building stone of excellent quality is obtained on the hill ; and its summit commands ex tensive marine and inland views.