All Lewis entries for Tullagh



Tullagh

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Cork

BALTIMORE

BALTIMORE, a village and sea-port (formerly an incorporated and parliamentary borough), in the parish of TULLAGH, Eastern Division of the barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 7 miles (S. W.) from Skibbereen; containing 459 inhabitants. This place is situated on a fine harbour to which it gives name in St. George's channel, and was anciently called Dunes/tad. It is supposed to have been a sanctuary of the Druids and one of the principal seats of the idolatrous worship of Baal, whence its present name, Beat-ti-moor, signifying, in the Irish language, "The Great Habitation of Beal," is probably derived. In 1537, the men of Waterford, in revenge for an attack made by Fineen O'Driscoll and his son on some merchant vessels consigned to that port, fitted out three armed ships with 400 men on board, which arriving in the harbour anchored under the castle: the garrison fled on their approach, and this force, after having laid waste the adjacent island of Innisherkin, landed here and set fire to the castle and town of Baltimore. So great was the resort of foreign fishermen to this coast, that in 1552, Edw. VI. was advised by his parliament to erect a fort on the harbour, and compel them to pay a tribute; but the proposal was not carried into effect. In 1602, Sir Fineen O'Driscoll surrendered the castle to the Spaniards, and supplies of artillery and ammunition were conveyed into it for its defence by the Spanish commander, Don Jean D'Aquila, on whose capitulation soon after at Kinsale, it was delivered up according to the terms of the treaty. The town was, in 1629, reduced to great distress by Sir Walter Coppinger, who claimed and took possession of the castle, with the manor and town of Baltimore, upon which last the English inhabitants had expended more than £2000. Sir Walter was summoned before the Lords-Justices, but in the mean time sold the property to Mr. Becher, who dispossessed the English colonists, and they never afterwards recovered their property. About two years after, the Algerines made a descent upon this coast, attacked the castle, plundered the town, and carried away with them more than 200 prisoners to Algiers, most of whom were English settlers. After these two calamities the town never regained its former prosperity, and in a short time dwindled into an insignificant village and in 1645 the castle, which was well fortified, and amply supplied with ordnance and ammunition, was taken by Captain Bennet and held for the parliament.

The inhabitants received a charter of incorporation from Jas. I., dated March 25th, 1613, by which the government was vested in a sovereign, twelve burgesses, and a commonalty: the sovereign was empowered to hold a court of record in personal actions not exceeding five marks, and the privilege of returning members to parliament was granted. In 1689, Jas. II. granted another charter, dated subsequently to the accession of Wm. III., which recites that the provost, free burgesses, and commonalty had enjoyed many privileges which had been seized into the King's hands by a judgment of the Exchequer. From the time of its first incorporation the borough continued to return two members to the Irish parliament till the legislative union, when it was disfranchised, and the £15,000 awarded as compensation fur the abolition of the franchise was paid to Sir John Evans Freke, Bart., who in 1807 succeeded to the title of Lord Carbery, and is the present proprietor; the right of voting was vested in the householders, and the seneschal of the manor was the returning officer. The limits of the old borough cannot now be well defined by any marked boundaries; they included part of the manor, and extended for about a quarter of a mile round the town by land. The corporation is extinct, and the only official person remaining is a water-bailiff now appointed by the proprietor and lord of the manor, by whose authority he collects certain dues from all vessels not belonging to the port which enter it, whether they discharge their cargoes or not.

The village is situated on the eastern shore of the harbour, and immediately around the ruins of the ancient castle ; and, though small, is rapidly increasing in size and importance. Several large and handsome houses have been recently erected, and others are in progress; and in 1833 a substantial pier was constructed at the joint expense of the Fishery Board and Lord Carbery. The trade of the port consists chiefly in the export of slate, copper-ore, flax, wheat, oats, and potatoes; and in the import of timber, iron, coal, salt, and general merchandise. In 1835, nine vessels of the aggregate burden of 2030 tons entered inwards, and the same number cleared outwards either with passengers or ballast, as connected with the foreign trade; and 173 vessels of the aggregate burden of 10,300 tons entered inwards, and 299 of the aggregate burden of 17,643 tons cleared out, as connected with the coasting trade. The amount of duties paid at the custom-house for that year was £2059. 18. 6. ; but much of the timber being imported for the use of the copper mines, the greater part of the duty was returned. The number of vessels registered as belonging to the port is 99, of the aggregate burden of 6426 tons. The custom-house is at Castle-Townsend, a distance of 10 miles from this place. The jurisdiction of the port extends from Galley Head, on the east, to Mill Cove on the west, and includes the creeks or harbours of Bearhaven, Bantry, Crookhaven, Baltimore, and Castle-Townsend, together with all rivers, bays, and creeks within its limits. The harbour is situated about seven miles (E. by N.) from the south-west point of Cape Clear, and is convenient for shipping bound either eastward or westward. The pier, though small, is a great accommodation to the fishermen as a landing-place on the mainland, for the fishery of Cape Clear; and a small quayage is collected for keeping it in repair. There are neither fairs nor markets. A coast-guard station has been established here, which is one of the nine that constitute the district of Skibbereen. The parish church, a new and handsome building with a lofty square tower, is situated in the village : it was erected in 1819, and forms a very conspicuous and beautiful feature in the landscape, as seen from the harbour. A school-house for male and female children was built at the expense of Lord Carbery in 1832: and there is a dispensary for the benefit of the inhabitants of the numerous islands in the bay. The ruins of the castle, on the summit of a lofty rock over the pier, and commanding every part of the harbour, are extensive and beautifully picturesque. -See TULLAGH.

INNISHERKIN

INNISHERKIN, or SHERKIN, an island, in the parish of TULLAGH, Eastern Division of the barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (N. W.) from Baltimore; containing 1026 inhabitants. This island, which is situated in the western part of the harbour of Baltimore, is about 3 miles in length from east to west, and 1 mile in breadth.A monastery for Franciscans of the Strict Observance was founded here, according to some writers, in 1460, by Florence, or, according to others; in 1470, by Dermot O'Driscol, which family had a castle at this place. In 1537, the citizens of Waterford, in retaliation of an act of piracy by Fineen O'Driscol and his son on a Spanish vessel consigned to that port, fitted out three ships with 400 men and besieged the castle, of which they kept possession for five days. During this time they ravaged the island, destroying all the villages, together with the Franciscan monastery, which was situated near the castle, and finally that fortress also; and having seized O'Driscol's chief galley and a great number of pinnaces, returned in triumph to Waterford. The castle as subsequently rebuilt, but in 1602 it was attacked by the Spaniards, to whom it was surrendered by Sir Fineen O'Driscol, and supplied with ammunition and artillery; but on the capitulation of Kinsale it was taken from them by the English. The island comprises 1469 acres of land, which is generally fertile, though some parts, especially towards the south, which attain a considerable elevation, forming one side of the entrance to the bay, are rough, hilly, and uncultivated. The higher districts are chiefly of the schistose formation, and in several places good freestone is found; near the southern extremity are some valuable slate quarries, which are extensively worked, affording employment to nearly 100 men. The slate is of remarkably good colour, and very hard and durable; several cargoes have been shipped to England, where it is in great demand. In the R. C. divisions the island forms part of the union or district of Cape Clear; the chapel is a small neat edifice, and near it is a good residence for the R. C. clergyman. Here are two public schools, in the school-house of one of which divine service is regularly performed by the rector. The ruins of the abbey, which are extensive, consist of the nave and tower of the church, one of the transepts, with part of the cloister, refectory, dormitories, and other portions of the conventual buildings. These ruins are close to the bay, and have a fine effect as seen from Baltimore; the tower is nearly entire, and several of the walls and gables are standing. Not far distant are the ruins of the castle.

TULLAGH

TULLAGH, a parish, in the Eastern Division of the barony of WEST CARBERY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6- miles (S. by W.) from Skibbereen, on the southern coast ; containing 3422 inhabitants. This parish, which includes the island of Sherkin or Innisherkin, and the village and sea-port of Baltimore (both of which are separately described), is situated on the harbour of Baltimore, and comprises 5796 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3174 per annum. The surface is hilly and in some places rises to a considerable elevation ; the principal eminence is Ballylinch, 649 feet above the level of the sea. The greater portion of the parish is rocky, in some places quite bare, but in others affording good pasture : about one-half of the land is under cultivation, and as it consists chiefly of small patches among the rocks, spade husbandry is necessarily adopted, and the manure is conveyed on horseback. Good freestone is found near the shores of the inner bay, and slate exists in several places. The principal seats are Baltimore Castle, the residence of Mrs. Freake ; Lough-Hyne, of Jas. O'Brien, Esq. ; Baltimore House, of Jno. Collins, Esq. ; the Cottage, of Thos. Baldwin, Esq. ; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. J. R. Smyth. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ross, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £300. The glebe-house was built about 1818, when £100 was given and £825 lent by the late Board of First Fruits ; the glebe comprises l0a. 1r. 3p. The church, towards the erection of which the late Board also granted a loan of £600 in 1818, is in the village of Baltimore. In the R. C. divisions the island of Innisherkin forms part of the union or district of Cape Clear, and the remainder of the parish, part of that of Skibbereen : there are two chapels, one in the island, the other at Rathmore ; the latter, on the new road from Baltimore to Skibbereen, is a large plain building. The parochial school at Baltimore, built in 1832 at the expense of Lord Carbery, is a large and handsome structure, comprising a centre and two wings, the former containing the master's apartments and the latter the male and female schools ; in this, and in another school to which a sum of £4 per ann. is contributed by the Catholic inhabitants, for the education of the poor children, about 200 children are instructed. The extensive and picturesque ruins of Baltimore castle still remain, but of Ardagh castle, which stood on an eminence nearly in the centre of the parish, a small fragment only exists. The remains of the church are picturesquely situated on the shore of a small bay opposite the island of Ringa-Roga.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021