All Lewis entries for Chapel



Chapel

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford

CHAPPLE

CHAPPLE (or the Chapel of St. Clement), a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Enniscorthy ; containing 827 inhabitants. It is situated on the little river Boro, and on the mail car road from New Ross to Enniscorthy, and contains 3747 statute acres, which are chiefly under tillage. The soil is in general light and poor, and the state of agriculture has undergone but little improvement. At Boro Hill is time seat of Jeremiah Fitzhenry, Esq. The living is an impropriate curacy, in time diocese of Ferns, and is part of the union of Killegney ; the rectory is appropriate to the bishoprick. There is a glebe of 16 acres, and the tithes amount to £173. 10. 9. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Templeudigan, also called Killegney : the chapel, a neat building, is at Clogbawn or Cloughbawn, in this parish, and was erected soon after 1798, partly by a loan from Government. Near it is the national school, built in 1816 by Lord Carew, who has endowed it with four acres of land, and allows £15 per annum to the master. No less than 84 young men, who have been educated at this school, have subsequently become schoolmasters. About 120 boys and 30 girls are taught in the school, and about 70 more children in three private schools.

CLONROCHE

CLONROCHE, a village, in the parish of CHAPPLE, barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, formerly called Stonepound, 6 miles (S. W.) from Enniscorthy on the road to New Ross : the population is returned with the parish. It is a thriving village ; a reading and news-room, on a small scale, has been established and is supported by subscription. Here is a constabulary police station ; fairs are held on Jan. 26th, Feb. 13th, March 13th, May 14th, July 14th, Sept. 25th, Oct. 24th, Nov. 24th, and Dec. 26th, chiefly for cattle ; and petty sessions are held at irregular intervals.-See CHAPPLE.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021