All Lewis entries for Ballymore



Ballymore

More information on Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)



Accompanying Lewis map for Wexford


BALLYMORE

BALLYMORE, a parish, in the barony of FOAM, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (W.) from Broadway; containing 522 inhabitants. This parish is situated near Lough Ta, and comprises 2520 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and forms part of the union of Kilscoran, also called Tacumshane, which constitutes the corps of the chancellorship in the cathedral of Ferns: the tithes amount to #203. 17. 11?., payable to the chancellor. In 1832 the parishes of Ballymore and Tacumshane were formed into an ecclesiastical district under the name of Churchtown, and a perpetual curacy was instituted. The new church is situated in the parish of Tacumshane, but close to the border of this parish, and was built by aid of a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the R. C. divisions it is in the union or district of Maglass; a chapel has been lately erected. There is a school at Moonfield Cross.


CHURCHTOWN

CHURCHTOWN, a district parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (S. W.) from Broadway ; containing 1429 inhabitants. It is situated on the Lough of Tacumshane, and was constituted an ecclesiastical district, comprising the parishes of Ballymore and Tacumshane, in 1834. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Chancellor of the diocese for the first three turns, after which the right of presentation will vest in the Bishop. The tithes of five townlands comprising 693 statute acres, amounting to #70. 10. 1?., and a glebe of more than four statute acres were allotted for the support of the curate. The church, a neat building, was finished in 1835, at an expense of #800, granted by the late Board of First Fruits. In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the district of Maglass, and partly in that of Lady's Island, in which respectively are the chapels of Ballymore and Tacumshane. A parochial school has been established under the superintendence of the perpetual curate. The only remains of antiquity are the ruins of the old parish church of Tacumshane.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020 Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!