BALLYCANNEW, a parish, in the barony of GOREY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S.) from Gorey, on the road to Ferns, and near the river Owen-a-varra; containing 1167 inhabitants, of which number, 345 are in the village. It comprises 3600 statute acres. The village contains about 60 houses, and fairs are held on April 23rd, July 25th, Sept. 21st, Oct. 2nd, and Nov. 30th, for cattle. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and is part of the union of Leskinfere, or Clough, and the corps of the treasurership in the cathedral of Ferns; the tithes amount to £192. The church is served by a curate appointed by the rector of Leskinfere; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £208 for its repair. There is a glebe of 4- acres. on which is a small house. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Camolin, a considerable village in the parish of Tomb, where the chapel is situated. There is a place of worship for Primitive Wesleyan Methodists in the village, built a few years since. The parochial school is aided by a donation of £5 per annum from the rector: the school-house, with apartments for the master, was built at an expense of £80, defrayed partly by subscription and partly by a grant from the lord-lieutenant's fund; the master has in addition an acre of ground rent-free. The rector also contributes to the support of another school in the parish. A bequest of £3 per annum, late currency, by Mr. Windass, chargeable on the lands of Mangan, in the parish of Kiltrisk, is distributed annually among the poor. On clearing away a Danish fort, on a farm in this parish, two urns of unbaked clay were discovered, containing ashes and burnt bones.