All Lewis entries for St. Marys



St. Marys

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

MARY?S DE FORE (ST.)

MARY'S DE FORE (ST.), or BEATAE MARLAE DE FORE, a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Castlepollard, on the road to Kells ; containing 1217 inhabitants. It comprises 1624- statute acres of good land, mostly under tillage, though there is much bog : limestone is found here. On the north it is in part separated from Meath by Lough Bawn, which, though pent up by high hills, is of considerable breadth ; it is remarkable for having most water in summer ; no stream emerges from it, and it abounds with large pike and eels. On the opposite side the parish reaches to Lough Lene, and the small Lough-a-Deel. Here is Glenidan, the residence of - Blandford, Esq. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Rathgraff : the rectory is entirely appropriate to the vicars choral of Christ-Church, Dublin, to whom the tithes, amounting to £159.. 14.7., are wholly payable. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Fore. There is a school at Glenidan, and another at Camberstown, the former aided by a bequest of the late Col. Monk ; in these schools 98 boys and 50 girls are taught. Ruins of the mansion of Carrick exist ; and there are several large raths in different parts of the parish.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021