All Lewis entries for Rathgarve



Rathgarve

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

CASTLE-POLLARD

CASTLE-POLLARD, a market and post-town, in the parish of RATHGRAFF, barony of DEMIFORE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 10 miles (N. by E.) from Mullingar, and 42 (W. N. W.) from Dublin ; containing 1618 inhabitants. This place is situated about a mile and a half to the west of Lough

Lane, and about two miles to the north-east of Lough Derveragh, in a fertile valley, and is surrounded by a richly varied country embellished with numerous gentlemen's seats. It consists of several streets and a small detached suburb, and in the centre is a square, in which stands the market. house. The market is on Wednesday ; and faire arc held on May 21st, Aug. 1st, Oct. 10th, and Dec. 10th. A chief constabulary force is stationed here ; a manorial court is held four times in the year, by a seneschal appointed by W. Dutton Pollard, Esq., who is proprietor of the town ; and petty sessions are held every Wednesday.

The parish church was built in 1820, on a new site adjoining the Kinturk demesne ; the tower and part of the old church remain, and the churchyard, in which stands the school-house, is still used as a burial-ground. There are also a R. C. chapel, a dispensary and fever hospital, and a parochial school in the town. A savings' bank has been established, in which the deposits amount to more than £20,000. Immediately adjoining is Kinturk, the seat of W. D. Pollard, Esq., a handsome residence situated in a fine demesne embellished with extensive plantations ; within the grounds is a lofty hill, in a grave on the summit of which was found the skeleton of a man, and near it a very large iron spur. Pakenham Hall, the seat of the Earl of Longford, to the west of Kinturk, is a handsome castellated mansion in a demesne embellished with timber of stately growth, and tastefully laid out : the gardens are remarkably fine, and kept in excellent order. Near the town are also Turbotstown, the residence of Gerald Dease, Esq. ; Galstown, of Hubert de Bourgh, Esq. ; Lough Park, of N. Evans, Esq., beautifully situated on the shore of Lough Lane ; Benison Lodge, of the Rev. T. Smyth ; Coolure, of the Hon. Sir T. Pakenham, G.C.B., on the shore of Lough Derveragh ; and Lake View, of W. Smyth, Esq. The old castle of Kinturk, from which the town took its name, was situated in the centre of it, but there are no remains.

RATHGRAFF

RATHGRAFF, or CASTLE-POLLARD, a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Dublin to Granard, and on the river Glore ; containing, with the post-town of Castle-Pollard, 3612 inhabitants. This parish, also called Rathgarth and Rathgarrue, comprises 5181- statute acres of land, chiefly arable and producing good crops : limestone abounds, for working which there are some large quarries : there is very little bog. Within the parish are the hills of Sliebuoy and Loughanstown. Fairs for live stock are held at Castle-Pollard, and petty sessions every Wednesday. Kinturk is the seat of W. D. Pollard, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council, in 1676, to the vicarages of Lickbla, Faughley and Mayne, and to the curacies of St. Feighan-of-Fore, Favoran, Beatae-Mariae-de-Fore, and Kilpatrick, forming the union of Rathgraff, in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Westmeath. The tithes amount to £187. 9., of which £83. 6. 3-. is payable to the impropriator ; the gross value of the benefice is £609. 11. 4., including £42, the value of 31 acres comprised in three glebes, The glebe-house is a good comfortable building in Castle-Pollard. The church is a handsome building, surmounted with a spire, in the Gothic style, and in excellent repair, having been rebuilt in 1821, at a cost of £2769, being a loan from the late Board of First Fruits, one third of which is repayable in annual instalments by the Earl of Longford and W. D. Pollard, Esq., the remainder by the united parishes : there is also a church in the parish of Mayne, In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, called Castle-Pollard, comprising the parishes of Rathgraff, Lickbla, and Favoran, in which union are four chapels, two in Rathgraff, one in Castle-Pollard, and another at Millcastle. The parochial school, at Castle-Pollard, in which about 40 boys and 30 girls are taught, is aided by subscriptions annually from the vicar, Lord Longford, and Mr. Pollard : there are six private schools, in which are about 180 boys and 30 girls ; and a Sunday school. Ruins exist of the old church of Rathgraff.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021