All Lewis entries for Newtown



Newtown

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Westmeath

BALLINAGORE

BALLINAGORE, a village, in the parish of NEWTOWN, barony of MOYCASHEL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 2? miles (N. E.) from KUBEGGAN, on the road to Mullingar; containing 35 houses and 182 inhabitants. The river BRUSNA flows through the village, and is crossed by a bridge of four arches. On its banks is an extensive bleach-green, with a fulling-mill, the property of W. H. MULOCK, Esq. There are also some large flour-mills, capable of grinding 40,000 barrels of wheat annually, and affording employment to 70 men. Here is a station of the constabulary police. - See NEWTOWN.

KILLEVALLY

KILLEVALLY, a village, in the parish of NEWTOWN, barony of MOYCASHEL, county of WESTMEATH and province of LEINSTER, ? a mile (W.) from Tyrrel's Pass, on the road from Dublin to Athlone ; containing 38 houses and 186 inhabitants. It has a small linen manufacture, and fairs are held on June 12th and Oct. 23rd.

NEWTOWN

NEWTOWN, or NEWTOWN-FARTULLAGH, a parish, partly in the barony of FARTULLAGH, but chiefly in that of MOYCASHEL, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, on the mail road from Dublin to Athlone ; containing, with part of the post-town of Tyrrell's-Pass, 2752 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Brosna, and comprises 8318- statute acres, of which 6520 are applotted under the tithe act : on the north and east is a great extent of bog, and 'there is a tract of marsh near the river. The land, which is of a light quality, is partly in tillage, and partly laid out in large grazing farms : limestone gravel is found here. The seats are Newforest, the residence of H. Daniel, Esq. ; and Cornahir, of the Rev. Chas, Vignolles, D.D. Newtownloe, formerly the residence of the Low family, is now in ruins, On the western side of the parish are the villages of Ballingore and Newtownloe, and on the eastern side is that of Killevally. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £237. 6. 1-. The glebe-house was built in 1818, at an expense of £1147, of which £323 was a gift, and £415 a loan, from the late Board of First Fruits : the glebe comprises 41- statute acres, valued at £26 per annum. The church, a neat structure in the Gothic style, was completed in 1834, at a cost of £1370, of which £1000 was a gift from the late Board, and the remainder was defrayed by the present incumbent, the Rev. Chas, Vignolles, D.D, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Castletown, and contains the chapel of Raheenmore. At Tyrrell's-Pass is a meeting-house for Methodists. About 60 children are educated in the parochial school, which is partly supported by the rector ; and about 50 are taught in two private schools. In the Split hills is a spring remarkable for its great depth and the purity of its water, from which emerges a small stream ; and near the old family mansion of the Lows are the remains of an ancient fortress with a circular tower.- See BALLINGORE, KILLEVALLY, and TYRRELL'S-PASS.

TYRRELL?S PASS

TYRRELL'S PASS, a post-town, partly in the parish of CLONFAD, but chiefly in that of NEWTOWN, barony of FARTULLAGH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 19? miles (E.) from Athlone, and 40 (S. W.) from Dublin, on the mail coach road to Ath-lone ; containing 537 inhabitants. This town takes its name from having been for many centuries the residence of the family of Tyrrell, of whose castle near the town there are still some remains. It is situated at the meeting of three roads, and consists of one long street, containing 82 houses, most of which are well built and roofed with slate ; the inhabitants are supplied with water from a well in the centre of the market area, enclosed at the expense of the Countess of Belvidere, who is proprietor of the town. To the east rises the high hill of Gnewbaune, near the base of which is Tou, the pleasant seat of H. Pilkington, Esq. ; and in the environs are several handsome seats and pleasing villas. The cotton manufacture was formerly carried on here to a very considerable extent, but is at present discontinued. Fairs are held on the 17th of May and Dec., chiefly for cattle, and are numerously attended ; the market, formerly held by patent, is discontinued. The parish church of Clonfad, a handsome structure in the later English style, with a well-proportioned spire, is situated in the town ; and there is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, built by the Countess of Belvidere. A savings' bank, a charitable loan fund, and a dispensary, have been established ; and there is a ladies' charitable association under the patronage of the Countess of Belvidere, which has been highly beneficial to the poor.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021