All entries for Rathmoylan



Rathmoylan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Waterford

RATHMOYLAN

RATHMOYLAN, a parish, in the barony of GAULTIER, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Dunmore ; containing 789 inhabitants, This parish is situated on St. George's channel, arid contains the villages of Rathmoylan and Ballymacaw, chiefly inhabited by fishermen, whose occupation, however, is rendered very precarious from the rocky nature of the coast. It comprises 2082 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. By inquisition taken in 1537, this rectory and that of Killea were found to belong to the monastery of St. John the Evangelist, in the city of Waterford, and were subsequently in the possession of the family of Wyse, in right of their manor near that city. It is in the diocese of Waterford : the rectory is now impropriate in James Aylward, Esq., and the vicarage forms part of the union of Killen, The tithes amount to #166. 7, 9., of which #71, 0. 1. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. About 70 children are educated in two private schools. In the rocky cliffs on the coast are several caves formed by the violent action of the sea.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020